Discuss How to Drill into Ceramic/porcelain Tile Without Cracking It in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Also make sure you knock the rawlplug thru the tile before you put the screw in otherwise the plug will expand and break the tile.

And preferably knock the plug in until it is below the level of the plaster and into the main fabric of the wall as well.

The amount of stuff that falls off of people's walls as a result of not understanding this simple fact is phenomenal.

(This advice is obviously not applicable for simple plasterboard walls framed on timber, but then one shouldn't be using simple wall plugs on this style of wall anyway.)

[ Con't: Grandmothers / Eggs ]

I've drilled and plugged hundreds of holes and never had this occur once. If the plug is flush with the tile (as a minimum) then the bit that pushes out and expands laterally is deeper and beyond the tile usually.

Probably okay to do this now with modern screws that have a neck that is substantially thinner than the threaded part of the screw or are threaded all the way up which allows the plug to easily plastically deform into the relatively large amount of empty space within the thread, but not so guaranteed with old style screws that have a solid metal shaft that generally tends to get thicker as it approaches the head.

Probably okay to do this now with modern screws that have a neck that is substantially thinner than the threaded part of the screw or are threaded all the way up which allows the plug to easily plastically deform into the relatively large amount of empty space within the thread, but not so guaranteed with old style screws that have a solid metal shaft that generally tends to get thicker as it approaches the head.

You say it is "probably ok"..... I can guarantee you there is no probability about it.

Thankfully I only use 'modern' (brand new) screws.....and never had a single tile crack ever....not one!

You say it is "probably ok"..... I can guarantee you there is no probability about it.

Thankfully I only use 'modern' (brand new) screws.....and never had a single tile crack ever....not one!

I am not doubting your personal lived experience.

Just suggesting that it does not equate to the entirety of everybody else's, that's all.

My experience and that of others would suggest that there are alternative possible outcomes. Outcomes which are best avoided by simply adopting a slightly different technique, that's all.

I am not doubting your personal lived experience.

Just suggesting that it does not equate to the entirety of everybody else's, that's all.

My experience and that of others would suggest that there are alternative possible outcomes. Outcomes which are best avoided by simply adopting a slightly different technique, that's all.

If you are not doubting my 'personal lived experience' what was the disagree for on page one of this thread? That suggest to me you are doubting my PLE .....

Techniques and methods such as using the correct type of screw and plug will very easily have the job done correctly and professionally and it will last.

I'm finding it amazing that this post is so long for such a simple task!

If you are not doubting my 'personal lived experience' what was the disagree for on page one of this thread? That suggest to me you are doubting my PLE .....

Techniques and methods such as using the correct type of screw and plug will very easily have the job done correctly and professionally and it will last.

I'm finding it amazing that this post is so long for such a simple task!

I was doubting your assertion that tiles don't crack.

Not the same as suggesting that you have ever cracked a tile.

I know that I have (not in the last 25+ years or so though), and I am positively ---- about deploying the "correct" tool / fixing for the job.

Reply to How to Drill into Ceramic/porcelain Tile Without Cracking It in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net