Discuss How to fit either a single or double socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening everyone.

I have had a very fulfilling day after finding a nail through a cable on a ring which was touching neutral and earth... however... I also have to fit either a single or double socket to a difficult area.

Previously there were 2 single sockets in seperate dry lining boxes side by side. They were obviously very loose as one side of each box would have nothing to grip on to, they were basically falling out of the wall.

I now have a hole which is vertically the same height as a back box but horizontally slightly longer than a double box (2 x single boxes).

My brain is coming up with a few ideas but I get the feeling I'm missing an obvious solution :).

I could make the hole smaller by securing a piece of wood to one side making it the same size as a double box. Keeping the wood slightly inside the plaster so it can be plastered. But.... I'd rather have your opinions?

The void behind the hole is on a sloping roof with absolutely nothing to attach to, so I have to make the most of the single piece of plaster board which forms the wall.

Cheers.

Perhaps you could fix single metal back boxes using a metal back box flange on the top and bottom edges instead of the sides, it should still hold OK. You would be left with the gap between them but that would be covered by the accessory, and would presumably be as it was before.

Blimey.. 5 years doing this now and hadn't seen the 2 x 1 gang dry lining boxes!!

I knew there had a be a simple fix.

Thanks everyone. :)

Blimey.. 5 years doing this now and hadn't seen the 2 x 1 gang dry lining boxes!!

I knew there had a be a simple fix.

Thanks everyone. :)

HHD, be aware that many of the 'joined' together back boxes are often not spacious enough for anything other than standard white sockets. So if you wanted to fit screwless or flat plate sockets they may be a couple of mm too big to do so.

Reply to How to fit either a single or double socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock