Discuss How to get into international rig work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Loveridge

Hi guys, new to the forum so bare with me! I'm currently 21 and in my 3rd year of my apprenticeship training to be an electrician. I've done my 17th ed regs etc and will be doing my 2391 once i've finished my apprenticeship. I want to get into onshore or offshore rig work (either in the UK or preferably abroad) while i'm still young with no ties to where I am now. Australia is the main place the appeals (and the money for offshore rig work is very appealing!!). I obviously don't expect to jump straight in there and be on the big money right away but i was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what other training i'd have to do (and where to get it etc) and who to speak to about it? Anyway, that's all i can think of right now, thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome, I am afraid you have missed the 2391 boat as it has now been split into two seperate quals.
For rig experience, try and get some industrial/ heavy industrial experience.
Also you will need a pot of cash to spend on CompEx 01 -04 and BOSIET. Even then there is no gaurantee that you will get a start.
It's a path I will be going down soon myself and there has been a few guys on the forum that have got the lucky break.
Have a search on the froum as there are a few good threads already about this subject.

Welcome, I am afraid you have missed the 2391 boat as it has now been split into two seperate quals.
For rig experience, try and get some industrial/ heavy industrial experience.
Also you will need a pot of cash to spend on CompEx 01 -04 and BOSIET. Even then there is no gaurantee that you will get a start.
It's a path I will be going down soon myself and there has been a few guys on the forum that have got the lucky break.
Have a search on the froum as there are a few good threads already about this subject.

Cheers for the info, ah yeah i remember hearing the 2391 has changed, doesn't affect me too much as my company will pay for it and sort all that out anyway, and just checked out the CompEx 01-04 and BOSIET courses and they're not massive money so that's not too bad. A lot of what I do is bigger commercial/industrial stuff so that should be fine. Do you know if they take of youngsters and train them up etc or do they just look for experienced older workers? thanks again

Depending on where you live you will have hotels and travel to pay so it soon adds up. The week I done my compex cost me about two grand.

All the jobs I have came across are seeking experienced guys which is a catch 22 then to get the first trip!
If your firm is going to put you through the 2394/2395 then take it as it won't do any harm.

yeah the college where I did most of my training does the compex courses which is just down the road so it shouldn't be too bad. and yeah definitely i'll get as much out of them as i can! haha. yeah that's the thing, everywhere seems to want experience, but there must be a way of getting on the ladder to get that experience..

Didn't realise that there was a compex provider down there. Thought falkirk was the only college type place that ran it as most of the others are private companys.
You should try to get into one of the yards down there with the likes of BAE systems. Have a butchers on matchtech website.

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of booking my Compex, BOSIET & MIST soon but I realise that I'll probably need onshore experience before getting offshore. Any idea of where I should look for onshore jobs in the oil & gas industry?

I'm prepared to move somewhere like Aberdeen or Norway to get the experience I need. Really hope I'd get offshore within a year. Is this likely? I have three years post-apprenticeship experience, mostly in Industrial Installations/Construction.

Cheers.

You should be looking out for the like of this Electrical Technician - Dublin, Alness (IV17) - Job: 55337312 - Totaljobs.com
A few types of these contracts on the CV should help you get through the offshore doorway.
There are also a good few agencies down in the ROI who you should be looking up. Also try networking on the likes of Linkedin as most jobs will appear on there before the company websites

You should be looking out for the like of this Electrical Technician - Dublin, Alness (IV17) - Job: 55337312 - Totaljobs.com
A few types of these contracts on the CV should help you get through the offshore doorway.
There are also a good few agencies down in the ROI who you should be looking up. Also try networking on the likes of Linkedin as most jobs will appear on there before the company websites

Cheers timbobelfast. I'll apply for that job and keep an eye out for similar. Although that one wants five years gas turbine experience, whereas my experience is all/mostly in Industrial/Commercial Installation on new construction sites. I could have a similar problem in a lot of oil & gas industry jobs. Worth a try though, might get lucky.

Thanks again.

Reply to How to get into international rig work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock