Discuss How to install USA sockets legally in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Turbo13

Hi,
One of my clients want to install USA standart 110V sockets at his home.
Maybe someone can advise how to do it legally.
I think American sockets isn't a British Standard :(
Very grateful for the advice.

TLC direct sell them. I can't post you a link because it is forbidden.
If you go on their website and type 'american' into the search feature it should bring up the product.
They're made by Crabtree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has he got electrical equipment that can handle 230V or would he require a step down transformer as well?

Are American plug tops fused?
No, you might need to make a few alterations to make it comply with BS7671, such as adjusting the cable size, protective device rating, number of points served, and presumably you'd need an inverter as well, to make it go and not blow stuff up.

Emm no they are not plus their equipment is 115-120v 60Hz and not 50Hz like us
Cheers, I was aware of the voltage and frequency differences but not about protection.

Begs the question as to why someone would want them fitted, could end in tears...

http://www.******************/Products/CB7062.html
So they do, but is it okay to fit them in the UK? Presumably they don't conform to required British Standards (I notice the TLC listing makes no mention of this).

If the above is not a concern, presumably he wants to run American gear? (UK gear doesn't come with American plugs on) Which is 120V isn't it? So won't you need to transform the UKs 240V down?

I bet all the U.S airbases in the U.k are fitted with them.
But I also bet that they generate there own 60hz supply.
And I don't think any U.K legislation applies there.

They use 120v (light) for low powered items and 240 (heavy) for high powered stuff, washing machines etc.
Phase and Neutral and Phase + Phase

If our a scam member phone them IMHO Id say NO to any request to fit them as they arent BS and hence coundnt conform to the BGB in any way shape or fashion ??

I bet all the U.S airbases in the U.k are fitted with them.
But I also bet that they generate there own 60hz supply.
And I don't think any U.K legislation applies there.

They use 120v (light) for low powered items and 240 (heavy) for high powered stuff, washing machines etc.
Phase and Neutral and Phase + Phase

They are not the only ones our MOD build English planned house in Scotland and Germany where they would not get planning permission except they deam MOD land as English.

And now you are going to ask whats the difference well Scottish building standards are at a higher level and how you can tell MOD houses is the open drains from the kitchen sink

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.******************/Products/CB7062.html
So they do, but is it okay to fit them in the UK? Presumably they don't conform to required British Standards (I notice the TLC listing makes no mention of this).

If the above is not a concern, presumably he wants to run American gear? (UK gear doesn't come with American plugs on) Which is 120V isn't it? So won't you need to transform the UKs 240V down?
Definately need a transformer, cannot use a shaver point unless load is a shaver.

Thanks for the very valuable advice.
In my case, the customer often have guests from the USA, which comes with a laptops and a hairdryers :ihih:

Is that the only reason?
I would suggest the customer provide conversion transformers, or provide a hairdryer for their guests which works on a proper voltage.

So really all he needs is a transformer to knock the voltage down.

Just shows how ignorant some Yanks are, assuming they can travel the world and just plug their hair-dryer in where they want. :lol:

Aren't most laptop power supplies adapted for both voltages and frequencies?

First off, Crabtree, MK and other accessory manufactures don't only supply the UK market, we have used these face plates in the middle east that tend to use a variety of different outlets for different voltages bands, including the Yank and UK standard accessories...

Why someone would want to install American standard accessories in the UK is beyond me, but i've found over the years they tend to always bring or try to bring America with them wherever they go!!. ...lol!!

As others have stated these outlets can't be safely used on 230V systems least of all ring circuits. They have a 230V outlet that are similar to the 115V design but with a different pin configuration. None of them fused!!! Can't see how any Yank outlet style plates will conform to BS7671!! Apart from anything else they, and the plug tops are crap, thinnest 16A flat pins of any plug top i know of...

If your registered with one of these scam providers, seek there legal advise before doing anything along these lines!!

When I built my darkroom in the loft of my house I had acquired a fair amount of “Yank” 110V equipment. To be honest I wasn’t impressed with the plugs but decided to stick with them. Most were moulded plugs, so I installed 3 110V radials feeding the new sockets from a 1.5 KVA transformer (phase and neutral). The darkroom was my domain so no danger to any others in the family.

Unshielded outlets do not conform in any way to domestic installations. Unless it’s a controlled situation.

The darkroom was my hide away, once the door was shut and locked I was in my own little world.
Totally autonomous to the rest of the house. Filtered air supply from outside, filtered temperature controlled water, sound and heat insulated, it’s own sound system. My retreat! Until she worked out which MCB fed it!

Not only do American bases use American plugs and sockets, but they are also used in their personnel quarters, which are frequently off base.
There are a number of little villages in dotted round East Anglia which are built to look like American villages.
I've also worked on a Hilton hotel which had a single American 110V socket in each room. Unfortunately I can't recall any details about the power supplies, other than that one unit supplied two rooms.

Reply to How to install USA sockets legally in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock