Discuss how to open Megger 1730MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a megger 1730MFT which is suffering from fluctuations in readings, it was repaired under warranty 2years ago but is now faulty again with the same issue and is no longer under warranty.

I have tried google but not finding much, if anyone has opened this meter id appreciate some assistance.

if it's similar to the 1500 series, carefully peel off the front label. then you'll find screws.

Should you be going in? Telectrix has given advice before on cleaning the 4mm banana push-ins that can get grimey after a while. Cotton buds and rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner.
Otherwise send off for re calibration telling them the issues.

Thank you for the replies.

Teletrix
I will look later, thank you.

Rpa07
I did this last time it had this issue, the calibration center returned the Meter and I still needed to return to megger. It was then repaired, fast forward and it's exactly the same issue. Except now it's going to cost a small fortune and once fixed it will still have no warrenty.

Phil
Thanks, I will give them a call

first try readings using the 1363 lead in a socket. if the readings are then OK< it's the 4mm sockets at fault.

Could it just be the leads? Megger only reckon they’re good for a couple of years at best. I’d agree with that given how much my testers are used.

Thanks again for replies.

Ive changed leads but still issue.

I called the site sponsers test meter.co.uk. I spoke to their enginner and he was brilliant. Explain the issue.

I am sending the meter back to them for repair and calibration. The price was superb, I will keep you all posted. They are even doing an express service so it's back with me in no time.

Out of interest, who has more than one MFT on here for situations like this? I have a Megger 1730 as my primary and a Robin KTS 1630 as my backup and for verifying odd readings.

Thank you for the replies.

Teletrix
I will look later, thank you.

Rpa07
I did this last time it had this issue, the calibration center returned the Meter and I still needed to return to megger. It was then repaired, fast forward and it's exactly the same issue. Except now it's going to cost a small fortune and once fixed it will still have no warrenty.

Phil
Thanks, I will give them a call

With all due respect to Test Meter, forum sponsor and all that, my 1730 went faulty. I did speak to Test Meter, who quoted a lower figure to fix fault than Megger, but they did say certain faults can only be rectified by Megger. Having just the one MFT, I couldn't afford to faff around sending it backwards & forwards. So I decided to send it to Megger. The default fee is £227 + vat (incl return freight charge), includes calibration, firmware upgrade & 90 day warranty.

Midwest, sorry mate I sent you this via PM by mistake. :p

This was my first route, but I had this issue before and it was repaired under warrenty. Less than 2 years and it's back. From what I understand this issue can be two things, their enginner explained this and if worst case it will cost me £106 +vat, that was also their express service so they repair day of arrival.

I would repair it myself, but by the time I aquire the part, research and time fixing it is more cost effective to return.

I will keep you all posted.

EDIT: If I never knew what the fault was I do agree megger is a safe option, knowing it gets fixed no matter what the issue.

My 1730 has been back to Megger twice now, not a good sales pitch. First time under warranty, second time I had to pay.

The £106 + vat seems reasonable, but I didn't like the 'if we can't fix it, it'll have to go back to Megger' stance, and pay the amount I stated. In my opinion, if you can't fix something, don't offer a half service. Perhaps Test Meter might want to clarify?

I wouldn't be doing the repair myself; one I wouldn't have a Scooby, two its gonna need recalibrating once you fixed it, and three I'm not sure where you'll get the spares? :)

Edit, the Megger fee is a set one, so whatever needs fixing its the same price, good if a lot needs changing, bad if its a simple thing.

Midwest, I spent a yew years working on circuit boards, mainly computer motherboards, modifying them which was my basis for a self repair. Altho I'm happy with the repair price.

I have just purchased a carry bag for my megger, it's padded and I can keep the meter in the bag when testing.

I have also purchased a kewtech r2 plug adapter so that I can keep the leads in the meter permanently and pop off the ends when needing to use the plug.

Hopefully these two methods will protect the meter a little more. Removing the leads constantly surly must be part of the issue as I use the meter daily.

Midwest, I spent a yew years working on circuit boards, mainly computer motherboards, modifying them which was my basis for a self repair. Altho I'm happy with the repair price.

I have just purchased a carry bag for my megger, it's padded and I can keep the meter in the bag when testing.

I have also purchased a kewtech r2 plug adapter so that I can keep the leads in the meter permanently and pop off the ends when needing to use the plug.

Hopefully these two methods will protect the meter a little more. Removing the leads constantly surly must be part of the issue as I use the meter daily.

Ok bow to your superior knowledge on circuit boards, as long as you know what you are doing, as its providing important test results, you don't want to get that wrong.

One of the faults on my 1730, was one of the terminals. I use the Kewtech ACC065 test leads, instead of Meggers.

the way i found out my problem was by using the alternative lead with the silly round plug. readings were fine with this. they all commoned up inside the mft, so it had to be a lead/4mm plug/socket problem. a 3.5mm threader with some bog roll and switch cleaner cured.

I got my meter back from test-meter last week. Been using it daily and it's working perfectly.

Ive treated myself to a new megger padded holdall to keep it in whilst testing. Also some kewtech ACC065 leads to save keep swapping the megger plug and probs (megger needs to sort this with swappable ends)

Test-meter was excellent, can't recommend enough.

Reply to how to open Megger 1730MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net