Discuss How to tell if socket is on ring or spur off spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bleach

-
Reaction score
Ok so you have the classic to cables in back of socket. Spurs should be identifiable through higher resistance but if very short spurs and it's an older install and you want to break into the ring to add another socket. You could be creating a spur off spur off spur?

How do u go about being certain in this scenario before the addition and do u always do it in practice?

Ok so you have the classic to cables in back of socket. Spurs should be identifiable through higher resistance but if very short spurs and it's an older install and you want to break into the ring to add another socket. You could be creating a spur off spur off spur?

How do u go about being certain in this scenario before the addition and do u always do it in practice?
Test the continuity of the the Ring Final r1,r2,rn, (R1+R2)

if you have 2 cables in a socket outlet, split them then test from 1 to the other for continuity. ( best done with power isolated :ack2: )

Sorry guys all posts spot on. Thanks Murdoch sorry if I implied wrongly. My apologies. Happy days :)

My 2nd post is really valid. I was fault finding a "ring" a few weeks back, which at a socket "looked" like a ring and tested as a ring BUT at the CU it turned out to be 1 x radial and 1 x lollipop - on a 32A breaker.

Definitely valid. Lollipop snares!!! Cheers. I started this thread to highlight to my buddy these issues which have panned out lovely so thanks again all I hope others may find this of use who stumble across it.

Isolate the circuit and connect phase and cpc (R1 + R2) of cable 1 together and do the same to cable 2. At your socket you should have 2 cables with continuity between R1 + R2. Still worth checking the whole circuit out though, R1, RN, R2, R1 + RN and R1 + R2. Best not to use a plug in test lead on old sockets as loose contacts etc can throw the readings out, drop the fronts and take the readings from the screw terminals.

Reply to How to tell if socket is on ring or spur off spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock