Discuss How to test a ceiling lights with a plug socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just out of curiosity, who 'created' this for you? Where they an electrician? Did you pay for the light?
It was a custom light that was created for me. Bought on etsy. Designer pendant light. Takes G9 bulbs and fits on a ceiling rose. Has a coloured cable.

Have you got it working yet mate?

You need a two probe voltage tester, or a multimeter to test this and find out where the fault is.
Do you have a multimeter? If not, get yourself down to Maplin before it closes. There will be some going cheap..

This is why we need a picture - for all we know OP could have put a rubber bath plug on the end of the flex and a flowering garden bulb in the fitting :rolleyes:

This is why we need a picture - for all we know OP could have put a rubber bath plug on the end of the flex and a flowering garden bulb in the fitting :rolleyes:

Now that would be a pretty picture.

Too late for Maplin...
I'm sad about that...you could get all sorts of stuff there...
I'm still hoping someone will come along and bail them out - there's nowhere else like Maplin on the high street where you can buy the sort of stuff they sold.

I'm still hoping someone will come along and bail them out - there's nowhere else like Maplin on the high street where you can buy the sort of stuff they sold.
went in maplin's a couple of years ago. a 2.0AH alarm battery, usually about a tenner in wholesaler's... maplins price £39. 95. now that is taking the pi$$. no wonder they've gone bust.

Last edited:
and Ryanair charge 2 and a half euros for a small tub of pringles, but when you're a little bit peckish and stuck in a metal tube at 30,000' what are you going to do?

and Ryanair charge 2 and a half euros for a small tub of pringles, but when you're a little bit peckish and stuck in a metal tube at 30,000' what are you going to do?
Answer: take your own, bought from Tesco before the flight, been there Mate, know where you are coming from.

Answer: take your own, bought from Tesco before the flight, been there Mate, know where you are coming from.
Personally I don't get the obsession with having to eat on a short haul flight (unless you have a medical condition of course) - worst case scenario you can eat at the airport, wait a couple of hours then eat at your destination airport. Maybe have a beer on the plane just because you can, but the point is your small can of beer costs 4 quid because they've got you by the short and curlies - it's not like you can nip out to the shop.

Same with Maplin - if you need a couple of resistors in a hurry, you need a fuse at 3pm on a Sunday, or a couple of metres of equipment wire, then you pay extra for the convenience. They might not be quite as bad as RS but Maplin's prices are pretty exorbitant; it is however reassuring to have them there if ever I need them.

My take on the flight eating/drinking thing is that when I fly, say, Ryanair, it's usually on my own, off-season from Edinburgh to Barcelona...with a return fare of £60 (£45 last time) I feel quite happy to buy a beverage or two...Can't get a return taxi to Glasgow for that from my house! (8 miles away)

Reply to How to test a ceiling lights with a plug socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock