Discuss How to wire IKEA light pendant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jen Jackson

-
DIY
Reaction score
I bought an IKEA light pendant and confused about how to wire it. The light is controlled by 2 switches and I have old colour wiring. From the ceiling I have 3 cables coming out. One is a single red cable, the other 2 contain black, red and earth.
The switch I have to put these wires into only has a neutral and a live hole.
Should I group the neutral and live cables together?
Many thanks in advance!

How to wire IKEA light pendant 7615F916-78CE-49C8-B52C-1BF39F67B05C - EletriciansForums.net

How to wire IKEA light pendant 29EC51BA-6C4E-4D10-A0BE-8CCA463C1D48 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Jen,

The first few replies will tell you (politely I hope) to get an electrician to do it, as that is the correct advice as there's a bit more too it than just 'grouping cables together'. Then however, someone who is too eager and maybe bored will explain how to do it without going into enough detail (as there is so much more to it than joining the correct wires together) and your light will work albeit in perhaps a dangerous fashion.

Good luck :)

Jen, I would suggest that you call a local electrician tomorrow and get them to do it. Obviously check their cost beforehand, but for this type of job I charge my basic callout charge which covers the first hour. I would guess it will cost around £50 to get an electrician out, but at least it will be done properly and safely.

Jen, also be VERY careful what you touch, as I assume you have no test equipment to prove dead. There is a situation commonly referred to as a "borrowed neutral" which in simplest terms means the wires you think are dead because you've switched the breaker off for say "upstairs lights" aren't all dead as a neutral is energised from another circuit. Call a sparks and be safe!

Jen - Firstly you need to be able to understand a loop-in wiring system. this would solve all your problems. you cannot blame the ikea light!!! as any double insulated light fitting will have a connector like that one. this is an example of the sort of thing you have come across here:How to wire IKEA light pendant light - EletriciansForums.net

That looks like an old style two way switching system. The single wire is the switch line. It was how things were done prior to 3C &E cables coming along. It’s done the same way as doing two way in singles.
I recommend getting a good (old) electrician who remembers it.

Oh dear, should have marked the switch live before you disconnected all of them, without a decent voltage tester you are going to struggle

Reply to How to wire IKEA light pendant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock