Discuss How would you advise customer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

You are asked to check the condition of a lighting circuit. You find on IR 4.5 Mohms on L-E. Assuming fittings were ok, i.e. not damaged/serviceable and all other tests meet regs.
Would you
A: Recommend a rewire of the lighting as it is not "fit for purpose"
B: Advise customer everything is fine and up to regs.
The customer wants you to provide 2 x 3 way light circuit on to the same lighting
Would you
A: Decline as you feel though the lighting meets regs you are reluctant to extend same as you feel later on there will be a problem and you will be found at fault.
B: Agree and extend lighting circuit.

Was the earth in the circuit completely disconnected , or was it still connected at the CU? And was the NE higher or lower Brucie.

N-E 400 Mohms, CPC connected at the CU soundly cpc continuity checked out ok ish at 1.19 ohms at furthest light. Up and down on one lighting circuit. L-N 400 Mohms

I would want to know what was causing the difference . Did you try drying it out with extended test to see if it improved .

Hi V, interested to know if this is hypothetical? Edit - just read your next post :)
I would likely be explaining to Customer that although it passes it might be on the way out and should be further investigated. If they were not interested, I would likely lose interest in the job too, nicely.

Dohhh! YES it was completely disconnected dont know what I was thinking about
But the question????
Well same as Wilko to be honest . If that was to deteriorate later and caused problems you could well be sorry you took the job .
As I said I would be wanting to know what was causing it before adding to that.

Ummm well the guy got another electrician in and the new one said not fit for purpose but my view is if it meets regs and it does, it is not for us to tell the customer it needs rewiring as that is strictly speaking sharp practice. I do not like to lead customer to work that is not necessary as that is illegal under trading standards. And anyway I run an honest business.
Did you work out what was causing the low result?

Ok, understood.
It would take a lot to justify a rewire, IMHO. Just wondering, was the circuit RCBO controlled (and still having its functional earth connected) ?

Nay its an old wylex rewirable fuse bridge. There is quite a bit more to this. But I was asked to check if the lighting was ok enough to avoid a re-wire. It was quite simply, but another electrician got the job of re-wiring based on his telling the customer wiring "not fit for purpose" Now the guy is not paying me because I did not tell him what two other electricians said ...that it must be rewired! I dont want to go on too much but I am sure you get the drift. And as I said the cable was out of the CU for IR test, you know the drill bulbs out etc.

Reply to How would you advise customer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net