Discuss Humidistat or Run on Timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all. I have a customer whose bathroom is soaked with condensation after the shower has been on. its worst I have seen.
I am going to install a 4 inch 60litre/sec fan but would like an opinion on whether to go with a humidistat or run on timer. I would appreciate your expertise. Thanks

No fan, will ever clear an unheated room

Agreed..
A very widespread misconception, so many times I’ve explained the fans are not there to extract steam out the bathroom..
I call them ventilation fans, there to create so many air changes per hour..
See a lot of fans located in the totally wrong location, such as above the bathroom door, right over the bath..

An open window is always the best solution

Agreed..
A very widespread misconception, so many times I’ve explained the fans are not there to extract steam out the bathroom..
I call them ventilation fans, there to create so many air changes per hour..
See a lot of fans located in the totally wrong location, such as above the bathroom door, right over the bath..

An open window is always the best solution
Magic thanks! what is the best position for a ceiling fan in a bathroom?

Magic thanks! what is the best position for a ceiling fan in a bathroom?
Also the fan will not move the air effectively unless there is an inlet vent for it to draw the air from. Either an open window, gap under the door, vent in door etc.
A rather strange example but I was administering medication to some prisoners in a small nurses unit (behind bars). It was sweltering hot. Just the bars to dish the meds out and the main barred door to get in and out. I had the portable fan blowing right at me. The Health Care assistant then moved the fan over to the door facing the fan away from us and pointing out of the door. It pulled air from the medication hatch across the small room and out of the door and felt wonderful! When we shut the medication hatch the fan had nowhere to draw the air from and so we felt nothing.
That rather long story was to say.... fit a vent otherwise it wont work!

A good dehumidifier will remove huge quantities of moisture from a room. I'm a big fan of the desiccant wheel type. I have one here that will easily remove 3-4L of water in 24 hours.

A good dehumidifier will remove huge quantities of moisture from a room. I'm a big fan of the desiccant wheel type. I have one here that will easily remove 3-4L of water in 24 hours.
What in your bathroom?

It did when I first moved in, previous owners never replaced the faulty fan and everything was very damp. All dry now though.

Yes, Vortice Lineo 100t, (I know a lot of people here don't like those!) long overrun. Runs at high speed when light or fan switch is on, drops to low speed for the 30 minute override. works well. Very quiet.

Reply to Humidistat or Run on Timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock