Discuss HV Sub Station fit out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HV Sub fit out, nothing out of the ordinary, all PVC no metal conduit etc, DB cannot be metal either, but spec is asking for an SWA cable to supply the DB which is plastic, how is it possible to fit an SWA cable into a PVC DB without it looking and being an absolute bodge with a fully removable DB lid? Cheers

I don't like seeing any swa glanded to a non metal enclosure.
Neither do I Westy, makes you wonder what the Specifier is thinking, most substations I have worked in (and that's quite a few) have been fitted out in Galvanised conduit, mind you they were MOD, and a while ago rules may have changed

Just as a matter of interest, have you been required to wear special operations? When working for dno we had to wear arc resistant boiler suit, rubber gloves with leather over gauntlets and full face mask when working on LV board, arc resistant boiler suit even if just accessing sub. We also had to be authorised or under direct supervision of an authorized person. It was the open LV board that was most dangerous, HV gear is more controlled.

Just as a matter of interest, have you been required to wear special operations? When working for dno we had to wear arc resistant boiler suit, rubber gloves with leather over gauntlets and full face mask when working on LV board, arc resistant boiler suit even if just accessing sub. We also had to be authorised or under direct supervision of an authorized person. It was the open LV board that was most dangerous, HV gear is more controlled.
I was an AP LV and HV and both systems required Permits to work and Permits to test, with all the safety gear as well.

Reply to HV Sub Station fit out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, New to the forum. I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a client with a small caravan site, approx 5 hookups. His old toilet block was nothing much more than an old shed. He's now 'upgraded'...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Well....wiring in a 1750s thatched cottage attic, not wiring made from thatch 🤪 One we have been letting for over 20 years (as well as enjoying...
Replies
Views
Hi, looking for suggestions or indeed what you guys do when wiring in SWA to plastic house CUs. gland swa to a Metal JB then connect from JB to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock