Discuss Hypothetical EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
If you were asked to carry out an EICR on an socket outlet circuit installed post 2008, not directly intended for outdoor use, but not given any form of RCD protection, then what code could/would you attribute to this situation?

Domestic situation

That's actually a good question. The thing you would have to find out is the date of the installation design. If it was designed to the 16th edition it would be a code 3 regardless of the installation date.

it's a question of risk. it's not the socket outlet per se that may pose a potential hazard. it' s what is plugged in and the use. if it's for stationary equipment like PCs, TVs etc., i'd code it as a C3. if the use of equipment that poses a risk, then a code C2 would be appropriate.

I would tend to feel that if it were designed to the 17th then it is non compliant with the regulations in force at the time, however you are assessing the installation for safety for continued use as it stands now so the date of install is immaterial. If the socket is not presenting a danger but the risk level is higher than it would be if it were installed correctly today then there is room for improvement so a C3.

If it were installed in 2013 or 1913 the situation is the same, is it safe?

Personally, I don't think that you can see a problem, make an assessment and then claim it's more or less dangerous depending on how long it's been there for - a bare wire is a bare wire regardless of whether it's been like it for 50 years or 50 minutes. So, I think I'd be looking at a C3 on that regardless of date.

You can't go round issueing C2's for sockets without RCD protection unless its outside and then I'm wary of even doing that!

Reply to Hypothetical EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net