Discuss I am cancelling NIC and joining NAPIT in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

p11jor

Nic are the the most unhelpful set up in history......I have my assesment on Thursday and the two examples I was using are for a housing company who went bust so I have no access.....I phoned nic about this and there only solution was me getting charged £290 + vat for a revisit, when I asked if I could still keep Thursday's visit and at least spend the morning in a cafe with this assessor they said no......why not if I am paying for this!.....they take £290 + vat from me then can still send this assesor somewhere else!.......this to me is proof nic are money grabbing.....

I shall be phoning napit on Monday morning

Hi mate, NIC are renowned for this kind of thing, to be honest they are probably all the same, but i'm with ELECSA and I've always found them really helpful when needed.

Or elecsa as they are very helpful mate always have time to answer your questions even the receptionists and if they cant they put you straight through to tech dept

everything i have heard about NICeic leave me to believe they are not very helpful to the electrician as your case proves

Cheers guys I will have a good look over this weekend, the one I am ticking off is NIC I am cutting my losses on the £230 deposit!

Yep you'll probably lose that, but perhaps if you really badger with the 'you weren't even prepared to come out on the date set' angle you may get it back.

Once you start working you probably won't miss the 230, but do you want to work for the rest of your career under a load of unhelpful so-and-sos?

also, elecsa will probably take you on with one CU change....

Elecsa are very good. Last year I had to cancel my assessment with two days notice due to my grandson being born 4 months premature, bad time. Elecsa rescheduled no problem and didn't charge me a cent.

To be honest two years membership of either napit or elecsa compared to nic yearly fee and there is my money back!......plus nic I have to now do two more jobs and get them signed by labc at £280 a pop is making me despise them!

This elecsa seem very reasonable and helpful, thanks guys, it's defo an eye opener and not all that rosey having that Niceic badge on the van!

ELECSA are no easier to get in standard wise, they just seem to take a more sensible approach to any NC's raised on a visit. Photographic evidence of rectification and a threat of a follow up visit to check next year.......(damm you earth pit, though the rod was well protected without one!!!)

Graeme has that spot on - I had a bit of calibration confusion on my last visit and they just told me to get it done within 2 weeks - I know a guy who had the same problem with NIC and they insisted on a revisit.

But if your assessor is anything like mine, on your first assessment they do go through it all, but as long as you know your stuff and you have done a tidy job they are happy. Wouldn't be suprised if NIC were on bonuses for the amount of revisits they can get....

Makes me wonder why? they carry on like this, have they always been like this, or is it more recent? with power comes ignorance, then ingnorance becomes weakness, then weakness becomes a worthless membership, keep it up Nic.
for some reason Napit sticks out for me as a good company not sure why, i need to have a good look at what they require for me to join, any infomation would be appreciated, as im off to a friends to tidy up some electrics next week, maybe i could use it to get registration? Talk to me Lads.

In not so many years,the almost assured monopoly of popularity of name that they enjoy at present amongst those who contract out electrical works etc will diminish

The organisation will then have to change its ways

The arrogance they display at present wont be tolerated if alternatives such as elecsa continue to grow along with the much better relationship with its members

Where inroads are not being made is in sectors other than domestic,they have dominance and will contiue to have for the foreseable future

I wish the niceic luck all the same,bad luck that is,if there is one organisation I cant abide its that one :eek:

im only with nic because most people have heard of them. helpline is pretty poor as they normally refer you back to 7671 instead of offering their stance on anything.
they are all the same price to join and notify work so if you arent worried about public opinion go with the one that suits you needs

Bradzzz read this thread and go elecsa, NAPIT and their members are great, but are more geared towards inspection (hence their name), and are not that well known (though they are getting bigger), elecsa and the ECA (elecsa is part of the ECA) are really getting stuck in lately and are getting more recognised, espacially with big, trusted firms like Grittish Bass (yes they are rubbish but still trusted by a public that knows no better)

how to schemes look on these scinarios,

i worked for company who was in a scheme but subbed all the work out to people who aint looked at a books(guidance) in years and did cut corners, then changed consumer units and just powered up, (no testing )im only on 3rd year and i think it is all hype for nothing...

Napit are the ones mate.national association of professional inspectors and testers. They want you to have 2391 mate and for that reason it proves they care about safety. Inspection & testing verifys if an installation is safe or not and if a company gives someone approved status without it I think it's wrong. Yes napit ask for in 12 months but if you don't get it ur out. Go napit

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it 2391 2360 1+2 2382 2377.
EAL
Napit are the ones mate.national association of inspectors and testers. They want you to have 2391 mate and for that reason it proves they care about safety. Inspection & testing verifys if an installation is safe or not and if a company gives someone approved status without it I think it's wrong. Yes napit ask for in 12 months but if you don't get it ur out. Go napit

Reply to I am cancelling NIC and joining NAPIT in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net