Discuss I am not a tool tart just a practical person! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could be wrong but I've a suspicion that SC was a tool junkie before she came into the electrical trade ;):)

Might have been... suffice to say, my Dad is almost at the point where he makes me sign for things I borrow ;) Which reminds me... I really should find his fish tape and take it back next time I visit :D

Thing is, there is nothing worse than trying to muddle through making do with a bit of kit that is oh so nearly right but not quite. Life is much easier if you have the right gear, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Just been to Edmundson's in Newport... had to drag myself away from the tool wall... me likey :)

Anyhow with regards to the Knipex Installation Pliers, I generally don't use the ferrule crimper as I prefer the ratchet one I have and I don't use the cable shear part for say splitting the end of T+E, I normally use my wire cutters for that. I think the main reason is the shears are pretty dam sharp and I have no desire to clip the end of a pinky with them. As a result I normally just take my Knipex snips and the installation pliers, which if you're installing in say a loft using Wago boxes is great. Hammer for clipping, snips mainly for splitting the cable, installation pliers for everything else and say a screwdriver for fixing the boxes in place.

They are quite long and can seem unwieldy but the flexibility from one tool, saves weighing yourself down with too much.

Stripping cable smaller than 1.5mm can be a bit of a pain, but that doesn't happen that often. The only real issue I have is if I don't grab enough of the CPC when pulling it out to split the sheath, it can slip out as the end section of the pliers is smooth and I have scratched a wall, left and indent on a ceiling before and smacked myself in the face as a result. But other than those minor niggles, I wouldn't be without them.

Might have been... suffice to say, my Dad is almost at the point where he makes me sign for things I borrow ;) Which reminds me... I really should find his fish tape and take it back next time I visit :D

Thing is, there is nothing worse than trying to muddle through making do with a bit of kit that is oh so nearly right but not quite. Life is much easier if you have the right gear, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Just been to Edmundson's in Newport... had to drag myself away from the tool wall... me likey :)

Anyhow with regards to the Knipex Installation Pliers, I generally don't use the ferrule crimper as I prefer the ratchet one I have and I don't use the cable shear part for say splitting the end of T+E, I normally use my wire cutters for that. I think the main reason is the shears are pretty dam sharp and I have no desire to clip the end of a pinky with them. As a result I normally just take my Knipex snips and the installation pliers, which if you're installing in say a loft using Wago boxes is great. Hammer for clipping, snips mainly for splitting the cable, installation pliers for everything else and say a screwdriver for fixing the boxes in place.

They are quite long and can seem unwieldy but the flexibility from one tool, saves weighing yourself down with too much.

Stripping cable smaller than 1.5mm can be a bit of a pain, but that doesn't happen that often. The only real issue I have is if I don't grab enough of the CPC when pulling it out to split the sheath, it can slip out as the end section of the pliers is smooth and I have scratched a wall, left and indent on a ceiling before and smacked myself in the face as a result. But other than those minor niggles, I wouldn't be without them.

I think that's made my mind up for me then. If you are taking cutters along with them it wouldn't cut down on the tools I would carry, just make the pliers I was using bigger and heavier.

It's gonna cost you to find out :) unless you can find some nice person to let you try theirs, good luck with that one :D
Got a pair myself, and as a self diagnosed tool tart, no you can't borrow them:p well worth getting some though imo:rolleyes:

Note to self... if you ever bump into Pete, audit your tool bag before going on your merry way :)
That's slander SC, as if I would? I wouldn't lowest. form of theft nicking other folks tools, anyone caught should be nail gunned to the slab before the concrete is poured.

enough of the CPC when pulling it out to split the sheath
I use an electricians knife to score the cable the split it with my fingers and then open. Gives a nice neat end to the sheath instead of that rough end you get with pulling the earth out. As well I have been told it can stretch the earth and increase the PFC quite dramatically. Bit purist I know but its nice to be a craftsman and do the job nice and neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started off with good intentions but soon turned my ways to using the CPC. There is to much chance of damaging insulation using the knife method.
'Mr Morris' was intent on that method but you can't use it in tight spots so if you can't use it all the time defeats the object. Shame as I felt like I wanted to start on the right path but . . .

I use an electricians knife to score the cable the split it with my fingers and then open. Gives a nice neat end to the sheath instead of that rough end you get with pulling the earth out. As well I have been told it can stretch the earth and increase the PFC quite dramtically. Bit purist I know but its nice to be a craftsman and do the job nice and neat.

I've heard that about stretching the earth as well, but has anyone ever tried to stretch the CPC? I think you've have to work really hard to stretch it enough.

I know what you mean about the raggedy edges and I have to say I prefer nice clean edges, but I'm kind of wary of using a knife for fear of damaging the basic insulation.

I use an electricians knife to score the cable the split it with my fingers and then open. Gives a nice neat end to the sheath instead of that rough end you get with pulling the earth out. As well I have been told it can stretch the earth and increase the PFC quite dramatically. Bit purist I know but its nice to be a craftsman and do the job nice and neat.

Hurts like hell when the pliers come off & smack you in the face as well :mad:, guess how I know :rolleyes::oops:

I've heard that about stretching the earth as well, but has anyone ever tried to stretch the CPC? I think you've have to work really hard to stretch it enough.

I know what you mean about the raggedy edges and I have to say I prefer nice clean edges, but I'm kind of wary of using a knife for fear of damaging the basic insulation.
Practice make perfect SC never used anything but a knife to strip PVC/PVC

Probably not - I'd rather have 6 sets of pliers than 1 that does 6 things
I may be a dinosaur but at least I know how to use my tool, this new fangled stuff though intrigues me are they worth investing in?

Intrigued do this tools serve a purpose and make life a lot easier just asking as I am not a "working" sparks so most of the things I do are done with pair of pliers or side cutters?

Are the tools worth the investment? Car wise I prefer something raw and "entertaining" so am going backwards as its more fun to drive something more challenging then some rubbish modern car.

Reply to I am not a tool tart just a practical person! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net