Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss I am wiring a barn conversion that is fed from an indirectly from a pole in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. orionsbelt

orionsbelt Guest

For this the provider has come from the pole underground to the source of the install which is a meter box outside the building in a small brick shed. Then to a 3 phase and neutral isolator , then to barn. Do i need to fit a spd or lpd devices or not? There is no lightening protection on the building

2. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Why do you think you need a SPD device

Ipd or Lpd? what are these

• Like Like x 1
  3. orionsbelt

orionsbelt Guest

Surge protective device SPD or lightening protective device , new regs amaendments section 534 apologies for any confusion. The supply is a tncs.

4. malcolmsanford

Yes they are now in the amendment, but what makes you think your installation is requiring them?

Have a look at 433.2.2 if it's over voltages due to atmospheric origin your concerned about

• Like Like x 1
  5. orionsbelt

orionsbelt Guest

Will check it out thanks for your speedy responce.

6. lauriehurman

lauriehurman Guest

This is troubling me. I'm no expert but IMHO the "environmental conditions" in chapter 43 means the thermal conductivity of the environment where the cable runs not atmospheric conditions.
    I think you should be in chapter 44 not 43.

Just my opinion.
    Laurie

7. malcolmsanford

In the OP the poster referred to pole and overhead lines, though agreed the last leg of the supply he said was underground.

Then with the referral to SPD and lack of lightening protection, we can only assume his concerns are with over voltages of atmospheric origin and therefore my reference to section 43 and 433.2.2.

Not sure in a barn where the electromagnetic disturbances would come, unless there is equipment in it that could induce these, such as welders, fluorescent lights etc, but what would he be protecting these influences from, unless the barn is doubling up as a data centre also.

8. orionsbelt

orionsbelt Guest

the passage in the regs which concerned me most is reffered to in reg 443.2 and reading this I do not think it applies . however I was firstly concerned after reading p26 0f the winter edition 2011-12 niceic connections magazine. thanks for your responces