Discuss I hate the damn snow! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
All this snow is driving me mad. Drove from Devizes to Bath friday night. No problem apart from stretch by the huge golf course at Kingsdown.
Yesterday walk into town and back via the park past the cool kids snowboarding and skiing in the park didnt slip once. Get back home go out to the underground carpark to get some bits out the boot and slip.
I now have a sprained wrist. Its better than yesterday and doesnt appear broken.
Downside I have had to cancel a job monday as i know my wrist wont be okay by then.
Reckon i ought to get snowchains and cash in on the emergency call outs next time.
In short i hate snow...
Anybody else fed up with it yet? Causes havoc with the diary.

All this snow is driving me mad. Drove from Devizes to Bath friday night. No problem apart from stretch by the huge golf course at Kingsdown.
Yesterday walk into town and back via the park past the cool kids snowboarding and skiing in the park didnt slip once. Get back home go out to the underground carpark to get some bits out the boot and slip.
I now have a sprained wrist. Its better than yesterday and doesnt appear broken.
Downside I have had to cancel a job monday as i know my wrist wont be okay by then.
Reckon i ought to get snowchains and cash in on the emergency call outs next time.
In short i hate snow...
Speedy recovery mate. As Spin has said. If the injury persists get it checked out properly as it very easy to miss a fracture of the scaffold bone at the base of the thumb. My son broke it falling of a bike and it took months to heal as it’s such a small bone.

In short i hate snow...

Almost got the Range Tover stuck over at Box Hill yesterday. Low range and salt got me through it.

I love the snow. Great excuse to stay home. But then I work on any of the usual public holidays such as xmas and sundays where others would not. So a break is always welcome. Plus if it is the right kind of snow the grandchildren have a glorious time in it.

I've been praying for some, I want to put my Navara to the test, bought it in the summer so I haven't had chance or need to whack it in 4wd.

Bring in the snow. :cool:

In short i hate snow...
I got snowchains from Lidl when they where on sale in the middle of summer 5.99 I think they were when the bad snow came last year there wasn’t anywhere I couldn’t get to :p

Thankfully the hand is moving a lot better today. Swollen on top and towards little finger side.
I know the common fracture you mean at base of thumb. Thumb feels quite good. But just a little sore. Just hurts when i try to clench fist or grib. If its playing up in week ill pop up to the hospital walk in bit.

We’ve had snow, but not lieing.

Although the slightest dusting of snow can grind England to a halt, I must admit last night in Edinburgh, I did have to put a coat on.

I hope it’s not your bottle holding hand you’ve injured

Has not got below freezing at my home yet, there was a flurry of snow but was gone by morning.
Kids hate not having snow here.

Thankfully the hand is moving a lot better today. Swollen on top and towards little finger side.
I know the common fracture you mean at base of thumb. Thumb feels quite good. But just a little sore. Just hurts when i try to clench fist or grib. If its playing up in week ill pop up to the hospital walk in bit.
Mind you don't slip while you're walking in....;)

Been snowed/iced in since last Tuesday. Can’t get up my drive in the van as it’s like an ice rink. Children have been off school. No sign of a gritter. Managed to do a few jobs around the house though. It’s just life

I put my van in the ditch last week after hitting ice.

Still in the garage while the insurance company pi$$ about dragging their heels.

I have been able to get anywhere though as the forester is pretty good. Doesn't fit so much crap in the back though. :D

I was in Ireland last year during the snow and I know we say the UK grinds to a halt

I think we cope fairly well for a country that only has Snow intermittently, not enough to have proper measures in place although this may change as we seem to be getting it more regularly now

Things slow down for a few days and then people adapt and carry on almost as normal...

The Irish had a somewhat different approach

Everything closes down even in places with no snow

When I say everything I mean everything!
Almost sheer panic!

Even petrol stations , Pubs, McDonald's, Chinese and Indian restaurants closed not one shop stayed open where we were

When the snow arrived there were us 12 Brits and about 40 locals turn up for work at a factory with 600 on the day shift until they closed the place down

Drove around in a normal car had to help several locals in Landrovers and 4x4's get up hills that we got up no problem!

Had 3 days cooped up in a B&B bored stiff

Watching the News a Council rep declared that as they now had 25mm of snow on the ground they'd deemed it too dangerous to send out snowploughs and gritters?????

I was in Ireland last year during the snow and I know we say the UK grinds to a halt

I think we cope fairly well for a country that only has Snow intermittently, not enough to have proper measures in place although this may change as we seem to be getting it more regularly now

Things slow down for a few days and then people adapt and carry on almost as normal...

The Irish had a somewhat different approach

Everything closes down even in places with no snow

When I say everything I mean everything!
Almost sheer panic!

Even petrol stations , Pubs, McDonald's, Chinese and Indian restaurants closed not one shop stayed open where we were

When the snow arrived there were us 12 Brits and about 40 locals turn up for work at a factory with 600 on the day shift until they closed the place down

Drove around in a normal car had to help several locals in Landrovers and 4x4's get up hills that we got up no problem!

Had 3 days cooped up in a B&B bored stiff

Watching the News a Council rep declared that as they now had 25mm of snow on the ground they'd deemed it too dangerous to send out snowploughs and gritters?????

I love the snow too. I was cursing it this morning though as had a nice £330 double EICR to do at the same property, and I couldn't get the van off my drive for 10 mins or so. Eventually it managed to grip and away I went. I was 20 mins late for a customer yesterday too, due to traffic jam, but I quite enjoyed being 'forced' to go slow after the hectic week I've had.

I do despair at the UK, when we get a bit of snow (sounds like Irelands worse).

People at work ringing in saying they could not get in. Yet in the afternoon, everyone's going to the supermarket etc, to buy all the bread & milk they can find. Couldn't turn up for work then, could they.

Schools are closed, 'cos some of the teachers couldn't get in, so then parents are 'forced' ;) to take the day off, to look after their charges.

I had to go into work yesterday, to grit the roads & paths. Well don't flippin go out if you can't stand up properly.

Just waiting for another callout, the paths are slippy again. :mad:

Reply to I hate the damn snow! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock