Discuss I have decided I want a career change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello people,

Basically I am 24 years old and currently a financial adviser, I've thought about it long and hard if it's something that I want to do in the long run and it's not, I find the office jobs very boring. Rolling on, my father is a property developer, and introduced me to electrics, the very basics, wiring and fitting sockets etc.

I enjoy the work, I like getting my hands dirty lol. So in order to go down the domestic/commercial route, would I have to take the 2365 level 2 and 3 course. Also would I have to take any additional qualifications after?

Any help would be appreciated? i.e. which route to go down for beginners and also I don't mind paying ££££ for fast track courses as long as it's the right qualification.

Thanks

W
Fast track might get the odd bit of paper but almost zero hands on experience.

Apologies if this isn't what you want to hear.
hat he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

If you’ve got the open door to property developing with your dad and he uses a regular electrician - then you could get some of the experience you need for the NVQ when you get to it.
Being a financial adviser you must have squirrelled a bit away for that rainy day so could look at courses with XS (scroll down to click on sponsors website!) they help a lot of people out with courses and NVQs. The point is as well as the theory you NEED the practical and you may have that through your dads business.
All the best

Plan on around 4 to 5 years of training to be a competent Sparky. Have a word with your local tech college to get your theory qualifications, it is best if you can get an electrical firm who will see you through the required training either via an apprenticeship or taking you on as a labourer/electrician's mate so you can complete your NVQ level 3 portfolio.
There are many different aspects to the electrical industry from high voltage working on the national grid stuff to extra low voltage and data or control circuits, home automation, security/access control and fire alarm systems, PLCs and industrial controls wiring and programming, marine, Compex, the list is endless!
Don't assume that domestic power and lighting installation work is the only way.

Last edited:
Do not waste your time the money is crap and the market is flooded with harry house bashers pretending to be Electricians.

Stay as a financial advisor.

If a local Spark is worth their space on this big ball of dirt then they will be benefiting from the more quality jobs out there. Harry the house basher as you call him would not get through the door of larger more lucrative opportunities and as far as I'm concerned he's welcome to clear up all the socket changes, cooker connections etc that I don't have time for.

Watched Leonardo in The Revenant last night - I sure pulled a few faces during that bear attack which seemed to go on forever! I’ve always thought that wouldn’t be a nice way to go.
Not to spoil it but it’s ok, He was up and walking 35 minutes later!

Yeah awesome movie leo is a superb actor.

"Catch me if you can" is good and based on a true story. I believe when they finally caught the protagonist he ended up working for the the FBI.

"Wolf of wall street" is his best performance and Margot Robbie is finger licking good :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic

Cheers

My fault, off topic, though you did provide the impetus!
Back to topic ‘He thinks he wants to change career!’

Hello people,

Basically I am 24 years old and currently a financial adviser, I've thought about it long and hard if it's something that I want to do in the long run and it's not, I find the office jobs very boring. Rolling on, my father is a property developer, and introduced me to electrics, the very basics, wiring and fitting sockets etc.

I enjoy the work, I like getting my hands dirty lol. So in order to go down the domestic/commercial route, would I have to take the 2365 level 2 and 3 course. Also would I have to take any additional qualifications after?

Any help would be appreciated? i.e. which route to go down for beginners and also I don't mind paying ££££ for fast track courses as long as it's the right qualification.

Thanks

Well you cannot be much cop then, my nephew does the exact same job and earns a fortune, drives a 70K range rover and wears nice suits, time to think about what your doing wrong IMO.

if i had to wear a suit, i'd change career or commit suicide.

You will need your suit soon enough tel, best to be buried in it and attend the heavenly gates dressed smart.

i'll go as i am. simpsons t-shirt , camo work pants, and £14.99 trainers. sidecutters in arse pocket (to cut the fence by them gates).

Reply to I have decided I want a career change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock