Discuss I have issue with some exterior LED lighting set? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Forgive me if being thick but have issue with some exterior LED lighting on a barn for friend.

Have run with twin and earth the light switch is opposite end to the power supply.

So have run the live all way to end in switch then run neutral in and out of the lights on way back.

Have issue with the second light being dimmer? have used up old lights from other site and do not know their history.

I have put meter and volts seem fine.

Am I being stupid and if so how is recommended ?
Thanks John

When you say dimmer are you talking a lot dimmer or just what could be considered normal ageing or manufacturing tolerances?

more info needed ,size of cable, length of run,no.of lights,etc why would you erect second hand lights ?

Do not believe voltage drop only 10m run
Yes only half power I would say
Because farmer ?
using 2.5 twin and earth was going to be 3 x 40w LED units for yard lights

I'm maybe being thick, but I don't quite understand your description of how its wired.
Sounds like you've connected them in series.

I cannot see your profile details yet, but as you are an engineer(?) does that mean electrical?

Your second hand lights may be at fault of course

Engineer not electrician
yes are in series so that's issue with the LED ?
thought might be issue but not sure as has transformer in each hence asking question

What sort of driver do you have that is powering the LEDs?

Are the meant to be run as constant voltage, or constant current?

What voltage are the LEDs rated at?

The led are external lights with the driver / PSU built in to the lights .
I have not striped them out to see ?

Are you sure the voltage is good , it sounds to me that you may of lost a neutral or have a high resistance in the neutral

The led are external lights with the driver / PSU built in to the lights .
?
If that is the case, each unit is 230volts. The LEDs must be wired in parallel, not in series.

Will have to check once more but used meter at end of run and was ok ?
will have look Monday after work and check voltages

but as rule of thumb should be OK to wire up as have ?

Are the lights wired in series?
What is the specification light output for each fitting the wattage can be irrelevant when dealing with LED lighting.

Reply to I have issue with some exterior LED lighting set? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock