Discuss I need a dimmer capable of dimming 1500W for 3 x Chandeliers. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

Unswitched

Hi Guys -

I'm trying to find the best solution for this -

It has been wired recently but the installed 1000w dimmer has blown. This is on a single metal back box. The dimmer controls 3 big chandeliers switched altogether. Total load of each chandelier is: 480w. Total load altogether is: 1440w.

This is a type of barn with access to wiring I'd imagine high up feeding the fittings.

Does any one know if I can get a dimmer module larger than 1000w. I cant find one.

If not, any ideas about a remote mounted dimmer over 1000w?

My best solution so far is to get 2 x 1000w remote mounted aurora dimmers and change the existing dimmer switch for a momentary switch. Use one dimmer pack for 1 light fitting and alter the wiring so the other dimmer pack controls the other two chandeleirs.

Or - I could go the wireless route.... Buy a remote wiress dimmer pack and use a fancy wireless controller.

What do you reckon? Any better ideas.

I cant change back box as it is all flushed in to exposed solid brick and everything around it is expensive!!

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply

If the back box had to be changed then yes i know it could be done, what I should have said was i don't want to do this.

Ive seen the dimmer u put a link too. Unfortunatly, Much too ugly. We are talking high quality 16th century done up room which was once owned by old henry vIII. These people are fussy and a half!

I just need more info on what commercial dimmers sited elsehwere are capable of?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a crackin price for the MODE there are bigger sizes iv fitted these in pubs in the past not in a visable possistion but generaly after a main switch ie.. turn switch on then dimm

Thats for the sort of thing that I think will be needed elsewhere in this place.

Are these wirelessly controlled or does it have to be wired in CAT5?

So practically if I was to install this 4 channel dimmer, I could Site it under a fuseboard and feed it with say 4 separate feeds from 4 different MCB's (If the load required it - not for my chandelier problem).

Then... now Im confused, how are these all switched and is it just 4 different signals that can be dimmed?

Thanks for all the help so far

Large value dimming is something that I SHOULD know a lot about, being an ex-ish theatre sparks.

So... If you have several devices that each need to be dimmed, and you are able to wire them all back to a central location, I would suspect that your easiest option would probably be to install a multi-way dimmer, with a central controller. The dimmer will have 1 input feed for n output feeds (for example, if you were feeding 6 x 1kw channels then you'd have 6 x 6A outlets and 1 x 63A inlet). Yes, this does mean that you end up with a very large value breaker on a lighting circuit. You also of course need to make sure that your circuit cabling is of the right size.

The controller communicates using extra-low voltage on a proprietory protocol called DMX, cabled using 3 core data cable on Neutrik connectors (Cannons). An alternative method is to use the same protocol via CAT5 cable (a system known as ArcNet). The controller, be it cabled or a wireless remote, can then sit in the back box.

I haven't checked for a while, but I know that MODE did use to make all this stuff; there are also lots and lots of other alternatives as this is very common technology in certain fields but not generally found in Wholesalers.

It's not as hard as it sounds, and if anyone wants to PM me then feel free. One thing I should add is that if you have several channels of heavy dimming, it does get quite noisy in both the electrical and audible sense - running a couple of 1kW devices at 50% will produce quite a buzz, and can cause interference as well.

As well as MODE, do a search on 'Anytronic', they used to make single channel 2kW dimmers (got one in the shed somewhere) that you could put a simple dedicated remote control on.

Reply to I need a dimmer capable of dimming 1500W for 3 x Chandeliers. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net