Discuss I need serious help. Or counselling in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Devonchris

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Dear auntie sparks

I'm not an electrician, not even a mate, but I have an overwhelming urge to buy a fluke 117. I've even seen a combi kit with a clamp meter that looks rather nice. I've no use for either of them but am still very tempted. If I give in to this drug like addiction I know I will only play with the dials or measure the resistance in things like a wet piece of string for a week or two until the novelty wears off.

I believe this is a connection to something in my dim and distant past as figures like 3/029 and 7/029 keep flashing in my brain.

I'm 67, I'm retired, I don't need this. So could someone please talk me out of it?

Dear auntie sparks

I'm not an electrician, not even a mate, but I have an overwhelming urge to buy a fluke 117. I've even seen a combi kit with a clamp meter that looks rather nice. I've no use for either of them but am still very tempted. If I give in to this drug like addiction I know I will only play with the dials or measure the resistance in things like a wet piece of string for a week or two until the novelty wears off.

I believe this is a connection to something in my dim and distant past as figures like 3/029 and 7/029 keep flashing in my brain.

I'm 67, I'm retired, I don't need this. So could someone please talk me out of it?

Buddy if you want someone to talk you out of buying test gear, you sure picked the wrong place ;):).
We're more likely to encourage the purchase :D

handbrake turn? i think not. he just lost it on a bend. anyway.good luck to him. i wish him a speedy recovery.

Buy a cheap chinese "Megger" , BM500A .
It will measure damp string , and probably zap you
a few times (It cannot measure voltage -just make it!)
..Have some fun before it breaks !

(spend what you save on that Holiday )

and get back to work. 67? youse just about run in.

It's funny you should say that. It's worse than I was prepared to admit originally. I've even been looking at courses for mature entrants to get qualifications. It's a pipe dream of course. I did 4 years as an apprentice in the 60's then packed it in to join the army. So unless someone wants the switchgear dashpots topped up with oil or a bakerlight switch looked at then I'm snookered.

If I'm honest, I think I just fancy swanning around on site with a gold card like medallion man flashing the fluke. Anything more than that and my back and knees will say no. It's an age thing if I resist it I'm sure it will wear off.

Wear off, Your kidding right ? It'll turn into an itch you have to scratch :D.
Your not alone, tool fever gets to lots of us on the forum ;):)
Us telling you not to, wouldn't work either. The pull would just get stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to I need serious help. Or counselling in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock