Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It was a christmas present to myself, along with a VERY reasonably priced PDF copy of the 18th edition plus OSG I got off ebay
But you quoted regs from the 14th, why when you say you have a digital copy of the 18th ludicrous.

Nothing worse than what you call a 'tree circuit' for fault finding. Five or six legs, may be more and testing at each when installed, too. Rubbish.
Agree wholeheartedly with your post

RFC for general household power circuits

Radials for single appliances or small power circuits like a pair of garage sockets for example

avearage house , I install RFC for kitchen/utility. living rooms and bedrooms I install radials. these will never see > 10A for any duration.

Nice little treat when you get to the last socket and only have one cable to make off. However I would also say the ring is king

OP are you an Aussie or Kiwi by any chance?

I for one would not wire “A Tree circuit”

Radials I have no problem with.

Over here sparkies like to cut Junction boxes and run one cable to the Socket outlet. Shits me to tears especially when the junction box is inaccessible.

Yes but the point is people will mess with these things. With a radial or a tree, a disconnected live conductor means whatever is downstream stops working - fault is obvious and it gets checked out.

Not the case with a RFC. In my opinion that’s bad design. You have to factor this inevitability into the design, and I do, that’s why I don’t install RFC’s.
What if the fault is with the cpc on a radial. Still works, no-one is the wiser. Your argument is flawed.
Anyone could mess with a radial, and do exactly the above.
I'd rather have a fault on a ring circuit that will hardly ever be a danger, as they rarely approach their maximum load.
Loose L or N connection at a socket outlet - on a ring it probably wouldn't make much difference except for that particular socket. Loose L or N on a radial - better get installing your £250 AFDD's.

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock