Discuss I think this is a fail ................... in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Seen loads of them was it on cctv equipment by any chance, that definitely is not fused. Occasionally you see a sleeved earth pin.

^^ I cut the plug in half to make 100% sure - in fairness to the client he wasn't happy and the kit is to be supplied into 3rd party retail outlets - so not an ideal position............... the cables they have will be going in the bin!

You very often find the cables are not the size printed on them, I had two a few months back stated as 3 x 0.75 but the earth bond, even though there was continuity was off scale. Cut the moulded plug off and bared the ends back to find about three strands of copper.

To be honest with cables like that I would question the build quality of the whole of the kit and suspect any supposed CE marking or other supposed approval markings it might carry. I would consider putting the lot in the bin not just the cables or pass to trading standards and report the equipment importer.

To be honest with cables like that I would question the build quality of the whole of the kit and suspect any supposed CE marking or other supposed approval markings it might carry. I would consider putting the lot in the bin not just the cables or pass to trading standards and report the equipment importer.

Was just thinking the exact same thing. After seeing that, I wouldn't be trusting any of it & certainly wouldn't connect it to the mains.

You're right it probably isn't the CE European approval mark but the (so called) CE "China export" mark
View attachment 37861
Oh dear, can we just put this to bed. There is no China Export mark.
There is only one CE (Conformité Européenne) mark. This mark should only be applied where basically the manufacturer has tested and declared that the product meets the requirements of the market and services into which it is being supplied.

The unfortunate truth is that counterfeiters and black market producers apply the mark with no testing ever being carried out and no recourse back to the manufacturer.

If it was in my country not having a fuse would be allowed but reducing the CSA of the earth pin by sleeving would be illegal.

Be wary some sleeved earth pins plugs have fake Copper covered alloy wire !
(hence poor Ohms / current ability - but look reasonable to the eye )

Reply to I think this is a fail ................... in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock