Discuss I want to rewire my house and ungrade consumer unit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Maybe it's a bit long one but I've got a big task ahead!

I want to rewire my house and ungrade consumer unit.

I'm looking to achieve few things here. Firstly, as recently completed domestic istaller course so need to gain more practical side.
Secondly, it's our home so changing quite old wiring and CU upgrade is quite reasonable I think.

The house where we moved in recently is quite old, with red & black wiring, CU, service head and meter located in the kitchen cupboard underneath and it's not accessible for service(one of the reason to change), only good enough to reach the breakers, very old CU, no RCDs. Also no main switch to isolate power to CU which means I'll have to contact supply providors to remove cut off fuse before work. TN-S system

In the kitchen I have storage that we don't really use and I thinking to install new CU there. Its reasonably accessible. Or on the wall next to storage.

Also I would want to replace lighting circuit, probably replacing ring and radial circuit as well, adding one or two extra sockets. Currently cables are run in the loft, it looks messy, some not fixed and run on the joist. I want to put floor boards there so new cables should be adequately fitted.

I wish to do most work by myself. Apart from dealing with the service head.

My question is:
1)what is the installation guidance for meter tails if there are to be run for about 4-6 meters in the kitchen from meter to new CU if it's fitted underneath the cabinets and cooker. Or tails can go up to the loft space and come back to the storage unit (about10 meters)? Tails mechanical protection?

I thinking to fit isolator on the supply board then connect meter tails to it and run SWA from the isolator to the new CU. Any advice on that?

2)Electrical Inspection Certificate is to be issued upon this job. I'm not on self certified scheme yet but need another electrician sign off this work.

My relevant qualifications: Part P(Domestic Installer course), 17th Edition, 2391-52 Inspection and testing, PAT testing.

Have anyone had similar experience?
Any thoughts would be helpful and welcome.

Picture of current arrangement attached.

Many thanks in advance.

20180515_165750.jpg

1)the max meter tails is 3mtr service head to c/u .
2)in order for you to move the c/u to new position a s/fuse need to be in place for sub mains
3) when Dno will replace your meter with smart /m by put in their isolator for the work to be carried out
4) considering you are not reg with a scam, it would be wise for reg spark to do the job with you .
5)for mechanical/p box in in the swa/cable to make in look nice.

Does it actually need rewired or just altered to make it tidier in attic and added sockets? Its T&E, and even red & black is still serviceable. Just check for c.p.c in lighting. Could be T with no E

Get an experienced electrician in and ask if you could assist. Tell him you'll do all the labour - running cables, clipping etc if he designs it properly and signs off at the end.

yeh. wot buzz said

You may find it better to get a price from your DNO to move the complete service head to a position of your chosing.
The CU is not that bad condition wise, but the install is a tad messy, an eyesore to be truthful.
You talk about "cables are run in the loft" your house isn't a Bungalow by any chance is it?
On completion you would need to issue an EIC Electrical Installation Certificate, not a teasting certificate, you will probably have difficulty finding a third party to issue the EIC unless He/She had been present, or inspected the installation during the different stages of the work, because what He/She is signing for is prooff that the install has been done correctly. Wanting to do the work yourself is all very well, and whilst I don't want to knock your enthusiasm in anyway, are you sure you have the technical and practical experience to do this work, you will probably answer yes, but personally I doubt it.
Sorry if that is not what you were expecting, I wish you good luck in your endeavours regardless.
Littlespark has made some good suggestions.

the trouble Pete if the DNO moves the head it could cost him a few penny's for that .it would cost him move then the rewire .

red and black means it could be as recent as 2002 ............

doing a live in rewire needs a lot of thought and planning too ...........I always turn them down.

I dunno, if I was OP I would rewire if its not too much of a disruption. Least you would know the install is sound, and not full of DIY botches, which is evident in his pic.

If you feel your competent, why don't you approach you local building control and see if they recognise your competence?

Electrician Competence Recognition - The IET - https://www.------.org/policy/collaboration/sa4e/index.cfm?

Hi Igor.
I may be mistaken but from the photo you have supplied it looks to me that the main earthing conductor to your proteus consumer unit is a small piece of un-insulated tinned copper. You might want to upgrade this whilst you think about what course of action you are going to take in regard of your future works.
Kind regards,
Sym,

I am not knocking your enthusiasm either but Its unbelievable that you will have had just 1 week of training doing practical's with that course you went on and you are prepared to take on a re-wire albeit your home but carry the same risks.

Personally get an electrican as another member said and help him through the job that way it will all be tested properly and signed off.

Good luck though.

I think you might first start with doing an EICR on the property to assay what condition the current installation is. This will then inform you of what problems you may encounter if you do decide to go ahead and what existing wiring/cabling is good and what is bad. I can see you are going to use this to gain some experience and I venture that it would be a good starting place without putting yourself right in the thick of it. As above I would echo the caveats of others that you may need to be shadowed on such a project as it is your first?

Let’s be honest who even cares about the NICEIC -------s for their own house as an electrician? OP I would suggest you gain some experience on a smaller jobs first, sort of walk before you run scenario.

from my view only you know if you are sufficiently skilled and knowledgable to be able to rewire your house, afterall its yours and possibly yours kids lifes in danger if you miss something.

Its a bit like chicken and the egg. you cant sign off a job as not in a scheme but cant join a scheme as you havent done a big job.
The niceic with a wink and a smile will say rewire it, issue a EIC and then notify on completion of your assessment visit as you have a month to notify. that assumes you get in to the niceic of course.

doing a live in rewire needs a lot of thought and planning too ...........I always turn them down.
I had 2006 in my head for the cut-off point for red & black. Will have a look at some of my old books later although never bought the Amendment changing the colours as the ECA or someone made a bookmark-type thing with the information on it.

I had 2006 in my head for the cut-off point for red & black. Will have a look at some of my old books later although never bought the Amendment changing the colours as the ECA or someone made a bookmark-type thing with the information on it.

2004-2006 was the changeover period with either colour scheme being acceptable in that period.

Reply to I want to rewire my house and ungrade consumer unit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net