Discuss I want to rewire my house and ungrade consumer unit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

will we be using red, yellow and blue again if we want?

or red and black on 230v?

it was a tongue in cheek question.

I want to change the brown sleeving on my switch wires at home back to red.

it was a tongue in cheek question.

I want to change the brown sleeving on my switch wires at home back to red.

Forgive me, I have heard that question asked in all seriousness many times over the past couple of years.

2004-2006 was the changeover period with either colour scheme being acceptable in that period.
That's what I thought. Although it should be noted that you had to commit to one or the other colour scheme within the changeover period - you couldn't mix and match bits of both.

That's what I thought. Although it should be noted that you had to commit to one or the other colour scheme within the changeover period - you couldn't mix and match bits of both.

Aye. It caused some confusion as I recall with the company I worked for at the time mostly committing to the new scheme from day one.

There was one stubborn, but ultimately not very bright, fella who worked there who definitely knew the new colours better than anyone could tell him.
Until he did a main board changeover at a small factory unit one weekend and Monday saw them calling the office angrily complaining of equipment running backwards and production being stopped for the day. :smile:

Aye. It caused some confusion as I recall with the company I worked for at the time mostly committing to the new scheme from day one.

There was one stubborn, but ultimately not very bright, fella who worked there who definitely knew the new colours better than anyone could tell him.
Until he did a main board changeover at a small factory unit one weekend and Monday saw them calling the office angrily complaining of equipment running backwards and production being stopped for the day. :smile:
Priceless! :)

Great to have so many responses. Much appreciated.

Will try to answer some questions and points in you comments.

This is maisonette house, we are on the first floor and have loft above literally covering whole flat.

Main earth conductor
doesn't have sleeving and size doesn't looks to be 16mm. Plus another earth conductor doesn't have sleeving. Could be seen on the picture. Thanks Sym to point it out.

Upgrade is need it because cu isn't accessible for service, workmanship not followed, the terminations on few switches/points doesn't looks great, I'm not happy with T&E condition in the loft(signs of wear and stress due to improper fixing or lack of it) no RCD. Also there is no earth conductor on the lighting circuit(cpc not found on ceiling roses and switches).
As I mentioned, looking forward to build some experience doing this.

Yes, few of you have poined out about getting an electrician to help and give advice on the spot. I will certainly do that before any work. Safety first. I have couple of sparks whom I met during pat testing jobs. One of them will visit this property.

Small steps before doing bid one, surely.
I'm lucky enough to have one electrician who would take me on odd days for domestic install jobs for me to learn. Hopefully to finish this during this summer. My wife and a kid will be away for the whole summer which means total freedom to practice and watch WC football without disturbance!:)

Many thanks for your comments!

You may find it better to get a price from your DNO to move the complete service head to a position of your chosing.
The CU is not that bad condition wise, but the install is a tad messy, an eyesore to be truthful.
You talk about "cables are run in the loft" your house isn't a Bungalow by any chance is it?
On completion you would need to issue an EIC Electrical Installation Certificate, not a teasting certificate, you will probably have difficulty finding a third party to issue the EIC unless He/She had been present, or inspected the installation during the different stages of the work, because what He/She is signing for is prooff that the install has been done correctly. Wanting to do the work yourself is all very well, and whilst I don't want to knock your enthusiasm in anyway, are you sure you have the technical and practical experience to do this work, you will probably answer yes, but personally I doubt it.
Sorry if that is not what you were expecting, I wish you good luck in your endeavours regardless.
Littlespark has made some good suggestions.
The OP didn't think much to your advice Pete, The OP has done all the courses so you would think/hope he should be able to find an electrician under the third party scheme. I don't think there would be many electricians would want a complete stranger working with them as a mate unless by choice this being a longe term arrangement.

The OP didn't think much to your advice Pete, The OP has done all the courses so you would think/hope he should be able to find an electrician under the third party scheme. I don't think there would be many electricians would want a complete stranger working with them as a mate unless by choice this being a longe term arrangement.
What courses are you referring to Ant? 17th an exercise in how to read a book, Part P what ever that is and PAT, I"m sorry if he doesn't like my reply, but I say it as it is, just because the OP has completed these dubious courses, doesn't, in reality make him competent to rewire a house imo.

What courses are you referring to Ant? 17th an exercise in how to read a book, Part P what ever that is and PAT, I"m sorry if he doesn't like my reply, but I say it as it is, just because the OP has completed these dubious courses, doesn't, in reality make him competent to rewire a house imo.

The ones in his first post.
Only in theory not in practice, as said before not the same as in a workshop booth.

Rewiring a house is not exactly rocket science
The guy has had some training (whether its acceptable or not) at least he has had some instruction

After all its not a customer paid job where different expectations may be relevant
Its his own house, a ideal place to get some hands on
experience

Looks to me like TN-S and the Proteus rewirable fuse have been changed to Wylex plug in MCBs.

Not sure why Pete gets a Dumb from the OP either. After all, advice is sought, and good advice given...how can that merit a "Dumb"?
Neither do I Pirate, but hey ho not to worry.

Reply to I want to rewire my house and ungrade consumer unit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net