Discuss I want to shorten some dado trunking but can't work out how in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have about 3m of dado trunking in my office (brand unknown) providing sockets and phone points which my electrician brother-in-law fitted about 15 years ago. Sadly he has passed away and I now want to shorten the trunking at one end to push a tall cupboard back against the wall. I can see that the top and bottom trims are pressed on at the wall edge and hinged at the centre edge but how do I remove the front covers. There are no screws holding the sockets in place. I know that the supply comes through the wall somewhere along the trunking but can't find out where yet.

Pictures would help to be sure of the dado and existing set up.
but given its age dont be surprised if its a bit tough and possibly brittle when cutting... especially if its been exposed to a lot of uv light. if cutting just be sure to score it with something very sharp first and make sure its not cold. being warm its less likely to crack or splinter when being cut

I would think you'd have to unscrew the base from the wall to be able to cut it.

I would think you'd have to unscrew the base from the wall to be able to cut it.
A Multitool and a fine tooth blade will do the job without take the trunking to bits(assuming its plastic trunking of course)(also assuming there is no cabling in the section being cut off and removed)

A Multitool and a fine tooth blade will do the job without take the trunking to bits(assuming its plastic trunking of course)(also assuming there is no cabling in the section being cut off and removed)
Good shout. At this time of night all I could envisage was taking a grinder to it.

Prising the sections off is always difficult and so getting a flat blade beneath one of the clipped bits or a screwdriver and prise it outwards. It feels like it won’t be possible but give it a bit more grunt and it’ll come. It is scary though and not for the faint hearted.
I know what I mean if this makes no sense to anyone at all.

Turn the power off, undo a socket, pull the middle bit of lid off first, then stick a screw driver under the lip of the top section and pull the lid off, then the bottom section. push the cabinet to the trunking base, mark where you want to cut, either do it in place or unscrew the last 2-3 screws then prise an inch or two off the wall and cut. Next rescrew the base to the wall, refit the end cap, then measure with a tape from the original place where the lid went to, to the new bit which was cut. Measure twice and cut once, refit all 3 lids and refix the socket to the trunking, 20 minutes work at most.

Thanks for all the useful replies, guys. Sorry for delay in replying but I've now managed to prise off the top and bottom covers (without damage) to reveal hidden screws holding the sockets, spacers and facias in place. The central channel contains 3 exposed metal rails (for E, L & N) and there's a joining block connected to the supply. The sockets slot straight onto the 3 rails so real easy to move and fit. I've not decided on whether to shorten whilst still on the wall (with supply switched off) or remove and then cut. Will take onboard posted tips if I do. It is MK trunking but no specific product name visible.

I have about 3m of dado trunking in my office (brand unknown) providing sockets and phone points which my electrician brother-in-law fitted about 15 years ago. Sadly he has passed away and I now want to shorten the trunking at one end to push a tall cupboard back against the wall. I can see that the top and bottom trims are pressed on at the wall edge and hinged at the centre edge but how do I remove the front covers. There are no screws holding the sockets in place. I know that the supply comes through the wall somewhere along the trunking but can't find out where yet.
https://www.mkelectric.com/Document.../Cable Management/T33 POWERLINK PLUS Tech.pdf

Reply to I want to shorten some dado trunking but can't work out how in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock