Discuss I would need help for wiring a push dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alexandra

Hello!

I just bought a 1 gang 2 way 400W push dimmer.

I thought that would be dead simple to wire but it is not working.

I really don't understand how I could get it wrong!

I uploaded a photo of the instructions and a photo of what I've done.

What did I miss?

I checked that the bulb was a dimmable one.

What does total load mean?

Thank you in advance!

Alexandra

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 23
think you have only a 1 way wiring arrangement. is there 2 switches for the light or just 1? what concerns me more is that i can't see a cpc( earth wire) in the pic. as it's a metal faceplate, you need this for safety. i can also see what appears to be a lot of exposed bare copper conductors, in the terminals. i strongly suggest getting a local electrician to advise.

Last edited:
Thank you telectrix.
There is only 1 switch for the light.
I guess I just bought the wrong dimmer.
Yep, I read about the importance of the earth with a metal plate.
I understand your concern as a professional but I still want to do it myself.
Thank you very much for your reply!
Alex

then you must fit a plastic switch. the red to comm or C, and the black to L1. make sure the copper is cut back so that none is outside the terminal. obviously, isolate the supply before doing anything.

think you have only a 1 way wiring arrangement. is there 2 switches for the light or just 1? what concerns me more is that i can't see a cpc( earth wire) in the pic. as it's a metal faceplate, you need this for safety. i can also see what appears to be a lot of exposed bare copper conductors, in the terminals. i strongly suggest getting a local electrician to advise.
What he said^^^^^^^^^

Dimmer switches usually have a symbol of an arrow with a line through instead of a 'com' or 'c'

Total load...
This is the maximum power the dimmer switch can handle. So if you have 4x 50w halogen downlights in the room that are operated by that switch the load in use is 200w.

then you must fit a plastic switch. the red to comm or C, and the black to L1. make sure the copper is cut back so that none is outside the terminal. obviously, isolate the supply before doing anything.

Of topic really.........but I was 2nd fixing recently, not done any for years. 2 way Volex switches supplied. The 3 x terminals on the back were identified as L1, L2, L3 as opposed to C, L1, L2. L1 being the normal C terminal. Nothing stands still nowadays! lol

Reply to I would need help for wiring a push dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net