Discuss I'd rather install Ikea light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nothing can be as bad as IKEA fittings, I hate them with a passion, nothing worse than someone saying " we've got the lights" and then pulling out a load of IKEA pendants. Well except a Poundland special socket or something.

Could you not have mounted the fitting on a besa box? As then your joint can be in the besa box with a flex the the light fitting and you also keep your steel conduit continuous.
Plus it makes it easier to replace any fitting which may fail in the future.
Unfortunately we have to get the lighting as close as possible to the ceiling as people need to install various cables etc in the overhead steelwork. This also stops us from using Kliks and flex as they may get ripped out accidentally.

em.jpg

These are fed via conduit from the far end. TBH I'm going to suggest we go back to 6' battens as these bulkheads are proving to be too much hassle.

Unfortunately we have to get the lighting as close as possible to the ceiling as people need to install various cables etc in the overhead steelwork. This also stops us from using Kliks and flex as they may get ripped out accidentally.

View attachment 41839

These are fed via conduit from the far end. TBH I'm going to suggest we go back to 6' battens as these bulkheads are proving to be too much hassle.

Are they metal bulkheads? If not how are you earthing each piece of conduit?

If such a low profile is needed install the fittings next to the conduit connected via a tee box.

Are they metal bulkheads? If not how are you earthing each piece of conduit?

If such a low profile is needed install the fittings next to the conduit connected via a tee box.

Conduit is earthed by mechanical connection to the metal roof and tested back to the MET.

Unfortunately I’m restricted to that footprint so my options are very limited.

What makes the connection to the roof? Do you test it with something like a duct or or just a low current continuity test?
Only a continuity test, not ideal by any stretch. The site has DC sensitive equipment so any other form of testing is a non starter.

Not that this is any help whatsoever, but I’m rather fond of this fitting for domestic purposes. It’s a piece of the proverbial to install too. TROSS Ceiling track, 3-spots White - IKEA - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/tross-ceiling-track-3-spots-white-art-60262659/

The name isn’t a misprint either.
Also, most European light fittings seem to be intended to fit either completely over the ceiling rose or actually next to it, with flex going through the flex knock-out in the side. As in the above.
Tin hats on....

Reply to I'd rather install Ikea light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net