Discuss Ideas welcome rcbo replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
So I have a job coming up, a customer wants most of the socket fronts replacing in there house.

The board is an old GET board with MCBs not an RCD in sight.

As GET are discontinued I can not get RCBOs to swap out the MCBs

So I have a couple of proteus RCBOs although I hate them they seem to be the same size as the GET gear so Im hoping they fit properly. I don’t like mixing manufacturers but I don’t have a choice.

Failing they don’t fit I’m going to fit a small dB by the side of the existing one leave the MCBs in place and wire the RCBOs off them and then to the circuits.

This is a lot of work but I cannot see another way around it.

I don’t want to put a front end RCD in the sub board as this means all the sockets will be on the one RCD meaning you loose everything when a fault arises

I have suggested a board swap but they had the board change 5 or 6 years ago so don’t want to go down that route.

So open to any other creative ideas instead of having to pull all 3 ring circuits into a new board.

Cheers

Fit an upfront RCD to cover all circuits:
Fit RCD 13Amp socket outlets:
Don't forget to check the Bonding is up to scratch.
In my opinion having an MCB and an RCBO in what will be in series, is not a good idea.

My first port of call would be calling Schnider, there are companies on the internet that deal with obsolete protective devices or maybe eBay but caution of a good seller not fake etc. There are a few protective devices that seem to be the same design pattern (probably from the same manufacturing plant) just different livery.

In my opinion having an MCB and an RCBO in what will be in series, is not a good idea.

I''ll second that...

The RCD socket outlets are expensive. Not good is you are doing lots.

So I have a job coming up, a customer wants most of the socket fronts replacing in there house.

The board is an old GET board with MCBs not an RCD in sight.

As GET are discontinued I can not get RCBOs to swap out the MCBs

So I have a couple of proteus RCBOs although I hate them they seem to be the same size as the GET gear so Im hoping they fit properly. I don’t like mixing manufacturers but I don’t have a choice.

Failing they don’t fit I’m going to fit a small dB by the side of the existing one leave the MCBs in place and wire the RCBOs off them and then to the circuits. DON'T YOU MEAN RCD

This is a lot of work but I cannot see another way around it.

I don’t want to put a front end RCD in the sub board as this means all the sockets will be on the one RCD meaning you loose everything when a fault arises

I have suggested a board swap but they had the board change 5 or 6 years ago so don’t want to go down that route.

So open to any other creative ideas instead of having to pull all 3 ring circuits into a new board.

Cheers

Fit an upfront RCD to cover all circuits:Bad design against regs and could trip out due to cumulative leakage currents /faults on other circuits.
Fit RCD 13Amp socket outlets: More expensive, could need deeper boxes and may not be available in the chosen design of the plate.
Don't forget to check the Bonding is up to scratch. Agree.
In my opinion having an MCB and an RCBO in what will be in series, is not a good idea
Posted comments rather than disagee button Pete

I would quote to swap the CU if RCD protection has been requested. Not your fault the board they paid for 5-6 years ago was not compliant when installed. By the time you have fed another small CU with RCBOs and diverted the circuits over it won't be much more.

I would definitely not squidge some proteus piece of junk into another CU.

If it’s a like for like replacement, i.e single socket for single socket, i was advised by my scheme that would be construed as maintenance.

I would recommend the importance of rcd protection to the customer though. 6 years ago, I thought most cu’s would of had rcd protection on sockets?

Don't forget to check the Bonding is up to scratch.

10mm bonding to water and gas are in place

Don’t like MCBs and rcbo In series but only other option would be remove the MCBs in the board install a new board using Henley blocks on the tails. I’d then have to fit an isolator before the Henley blocks to give one means of isolation for the whole installation.

I could use RCDs but there are 3 circuits so I would need a 6way board to give me 6 ways as an RCD is double width

I could make a sub main from just 1 MCB to the new board but again this means that all the sockets are then on 1 breaker meaning you loose all the sockets

If it's not adding any new wiring or socket outlets why the requirement for rcd protection? Is that something the customer requested? If so they should pay for the cu change.

Most of the sockets in the house are being swapped so a lot of alterations taking place.

Most of the sockets are being swapped to doubles using converter sockets as the customer doesn’t want the mess to the decoration. 1 or 2 socket back boxes are being changed.

I could just turn a blind eye to RCD protection and mark it as a deviation on the Certification but I don’t feel that that is the honest and safe way to do it.

If it’s a like for like replacement, i.e single socket for single socket, i was advised by my scheme that would be construed as maintenance.

I would recommend the importance of rcd protection to the customer though. 6 years ago, I thought most cu’s would of had rcd protection on sockets?

It’s most if not all of the sockets in the house being changed if I was doing one or maybe two I would list as a deviation on the certification

It amazes me that the amount of mcb boards I have come across without any RCD protection on. I thought that RCD protection at least on socket circuits has been around for a long time so there shouldn’t be any cases of this

As you are not changing the circuit, then swap the fronts ..... And make sure your invoice states that rcd protection for the circuit is advised

This does sound grey area, you can swap as many as you like as long as you don't add new socket outlets, but converting a single to a double kind of adds a second outlet even if no extra accessory.
Regarding the deviation, omission of rcd protection where it is required is not a deviation. A deviation is where you don't comply with the regs but your solution provides the same level of safety. Omission of rcds would certainly lower the safety.

Did GET rcbos actually exist in the first place?

Reply to Ideas welcome rcbo replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock