Discuss Identify this wire from 1960 semi-detached house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just brought a 1960 semi-detached house, and the front bedroom has this wire running along the wall.

Does anybody know what it could be?

Electrics are still original 1960.

Hang on I'll get me crystal ball out, Could be lead, TRS without a better picture it would be impossible to tell.

None of that made sense. Can you explain it in lay perspective? I can get better pictures later...today is the day of completion. The photo was taken yesterday when we went to do a final inspection of property.

Prior to this, large wardrobes covered this 'thing' so we did not know it was there.

Hi Rocky - What height is the box off the floor please? It may have been a flex outlet at some point. Assuming this is correct, it will need looking at as the hole in the middle may lead to a bare live wire. If you've got kids, put something immovable in front of it (like a wardrobe, ha) till it's sorted. Small job for an Electrician to either safely terminate or remove.

Looking at the full scale image, it looks like a grey flat twin (could have a cpc or earth wire as well). What does the rest of your wiring look like?

looks to me like VIR twin. if that's the case, i suggest a full inspection of the electrical installation. whereabouts in N. Wales are you. one of us may be close enough to call and advise.

It could of been a wire for lighting and switch for the bed then isolated by the junction box. It was common to have lights above the headboard or side of the beds then. Just a thought.

None of that made sense. Can you explain it in lay perspective? I can get better pictures later...today is the day of completion. The photo was taken yesterday when we went to do a final inspection of property.

Prior to this, large wardrobes covered this 'thing' so we did not know it was there.
Lead, as in a lead sheathed cable
TRS as in Tough Rubber Sheathed cable
More likely to be the later of the two lead had died a death by the 60s but it depends on when it was wired, may even be an early type of PVC the type of cable used today in house wiring, might be VIR as in Vucanised Indian Rubber, I only ever saw that in a single core style, if you could get a close up, photo of it without 50 years of paint or wallpaper on it we could possibly give you a more definitive answer, either way you would be well advised to get an inspection done on your electrical installation.

if you enlarge the OP's pic., the lower half is black. top half looks painted over or in mini trunking.

if you enlarge the OP's pic., the lower half is black. top half looks painted over or in mini trunking.

Must be my screen, enlarged picture I see grey.

We'll have to wait for the OP. The suspense is killing me :)

PS click on the enlarged picture, to get full screen image.

That's one of the unscrewable Bakelite or plastic Junction boxes so as @Wilko worried about, there will be no hole and 'should' be safe against little fingers. As others have said, get it checked out.
Work of art in my eyes! Could be a Banksy stencil!

I can make out metal clips holding it to the wall, and with past experience I would go with lead sheathed.
Old pendant ceiling rose, the white cover should just unscrew to reveal a black base with 3 x brass terminals, with 2 screw connections in each.
Is very likely to be a mains live and neutral feed to a bed headboard light fitting as others have suggested. Probably wont have a cpc in there.
I hope you bought this property to do it up. If this is what the rest of the electrics are like, God knows what else you'll find.
Post anything strange or unusual here. We all like a good laugh.

I can make out metal clips holding it to the wall, and with past experience I would go with lead sheathed.
Old pendant ceiling rose, the white cover should just unscrew to reveal a black base with 3 x brass terminals, with 2 screw connections in each.
Is very likely to be a mains live and neutral feed to a bed headboard light fitting as others have suggested. Probably wont have a cpc in there.
I hope you bought this property to do it up. If this is what the rest of the electrics are like, God knows what else you'll find.
Post anything strange or unusual here. We all like a good laugh.

I agree with all the above except i think the Buckle clips point towards it being either a Rubber twin cable or an old PVC flat twin.
As said if the rest of the electrics are like this you might need a rewire. Get your local sbaarks to have a look.;)

I've seen previous threads, where some have said, what are the IR results before recommending rewire. Now its rip out regardless. I don't know, some people are fickle. :rolleyes:

I still think its a flat grey.

Reply to Identify this wire from 1960 semi-detached house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net