Discuss Identifying fault on 240V outdoor lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning,

On a current job I have an outdoor lighting system with a fault that is 240V. Problem is that it keeps tripping the rcd. It turns on for around 10 seconds and then trips. There is nothing wrong with the rcd.

How do I locate the ground fault easily using my multifunction tester?

I have opened all the junction boxes, dried with a heat gun and left open whilst I try to get the system working. Some connections were wet, and have started to go that brown rusty colour etc, but as long as they’re dry and isolated they should work shouldn’t they?

Is there a way to tell where the ground fault is occurring? Without dismantling the entire circuit?

Thanks,
Barns

Good morning,

On a current job I have an outdoor lighting system with a fault that is 240V. Problem is that it keeps tripping the rcd. It turns on for around 10 seconds and then trips. There is nothing wrong with the rcd.

How do I locate the ground fault easily using my multifunction tester?

I have opened all the junction boxes, dried with a heat gun and left open whilst I try to get the system working. Some connections were wet, and have started to go that brown rusty colour etc, but as long as they’re dry and isolated they should work shouldn’t they?

Is there a way to tell where the ground fault is occurring? Without dismantling the entire circuit?

Thanks,
Barns
DC Thumper

he should have one considering he fit solar panels .
Well I know electricians from my previous employment that didn't know how to test let alone have test equipment for all I know he just screws them on the roof and connects someone else does test. As Pete posted no/little info in profile. The question says alot.

Reply to Identifying fault on 240V outdoor lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net