Discuss Identifying ring main cables without a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

David_l

Hi, to give you a quick break down of my situation. I have a converted bungalow that has several generations of wiring and I'm currently trying to add an additional socket (via a junction box) to be located in a loft onto a ring main.

Thankfully in my loft I have plenty of 2.5mm twin and earth running in there, however I'm unsure of which is the ring main. My question is, Is there a way to identify cables externally without breaking into the cable or having a socket to use a voltmeter since all the cable disappears under the floor boards. Essentially I just have a middle of a cable and I was going to switch each ring off at the circuit breaker and see which cable dies and label them up, however after searching online a clamp meter looks like it might work, is this the right way of thinking or is the only way to cut into them when their dead?

Now I have thought about the possibility of them being spurs but I would check the ring continuity once I have cut into the cable but at least this would help me in knowing which cable to trace.

Thanks in advanced (and a air high five)
David

Non contact volt meter should indicate the cable from the circuit you wish to spur from,make sure you test said circuit before hand to ensure it's a ring final circuit first!!

Non contact volt meter should indicate the cable from the circuit you wish to spur from,make sure you test said circuit before hand to ensure it's a ring final circuit first!!
by finding the right cable and isolating that ring. when using the non contact volt meter
mark the cable with tape .for the spur for your loft .

Wow thanks for the quick reply you all get a air high five! A non contact voltage tester is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll be using this as just the very beginning of my search since I want to use this to see which cable to start to follow rather than getting half way round the house only to find it's the wrong one. Once I find out which one it is I'll trace it and check its continuity making sure it's definitely a ring main before adding the socket.

Thanks again guys!
D.

yeah, likes would be nice if not put some monies in the tip jar.Identifying ring main cables without a socket upload_2017-7-27_21-58-44 - EletriciansForums.net I forgot he is in Scotland, short arms and long pockets .

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the quick reply you all get a air high five! A non contact voltage tester is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll be using this as just the very beginning of my search since I want to use this to see which cable to start to follow rather than getting half way round the house only to find it's the wrong one. Once I find out which one it is I'll trace it and check its continuity making sure it's definitely a ring main before adding the socket.

Thanks again guys!
D.

But remember that such devices are not reliable and can indicate that a cable is dead when it is in fact live.
Do not ever trust them as a means of proving that anything is safe to work on, always use an approved voltage indicator in accordance with gs38 and established safe isolation procedures.

A mistake in this could cost you your life in a very quick but painful fashion.

Agreed I use them a lot on EICRs but I wouldn't put my life on one as they can be deceptive with bunched cables.

Ring Main no it's a Ring Final Circuit Oh and get an Electrician in you could be adding a new socket to an already spurred one, don't rely on a non contact tester , many an accident has happened using those things, OK in the right hand but not for a DIYer imo

i can. i trod on mine, foot rolled off, fell over, broke me smoke and spilt me ale.

Care to describe a few that you know the details of?

Personally I have only had the one accident with one, and that was enough to teach me never to trust one. I was using one to test a T&E, the tester showed that it was live, I operated the mcb and the tester went off, I tried the tester on another cable and it was still working so I cut the cable with a loud bang and a flash.
I still got the pair of cutters with the holes in them somewhere, and have never trusted one of those testers since then.

I do own one and use it for a basic means of identification, but never trust it for a definite test.

Similarly, I used one to help identify the live cable in a loose bundle. But I didn't feel I got a conclusive result with it and resisted the temptation to destroy a set of cutters, for once :rolleyes:

Question to OP: Why are you installing a socket in the loftspace? if its just for a light, would it be easier to find a supply from the lighting circuit?

Those non-contact testers are only good for three things.
  1. Cable tracing for fault finding followed up with a contact tester.
  2. Stabbing holes in plasterboard.
  3. Stirring your tea. Remember to remove plaster dust first...

Reply to Identifying ring main cables without a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock