Discuss Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Scooby

Hi all that read this. The title say's it all.
I'm a D.I.Y'er that hates being beaten. I joined this group to have a read and learn a bit.
Thanks to all you that read this that I've read their posts. Good forum for general bit's and pieces (have learned loads). I recently was given an OLD hot tub/spa by a friend that himself had been given. (Don't get jealous) as it's just just not fancy. I have built a surround for it and plumbed it in (no problem).
All my problems started when he gave me the power box.
Some animal with scissors has done all the disconnecting.
I can wire sockets/boards/internet tv systems/satellite receivers etc etc
This has driven me round the bend as there's little info online that i can find to help.
Please if any kind person has a bit of time and knows about these pool/spa heaters please contact me.

Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. IMG_1221.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. IMG_1222.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. IMG_1223.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for posting. I live in Spain and have access to all the wiring in the house.
The unit in the pic's is what i was given.
I've looked the heater up online but not found any help on wiring. The heater just looks like a long cylinder with an element inside.
It has 2 x red 2 x black and 1 x earth
Local electrician is a friend of mine and he said he had no idea, i live in a very small village lol.

If i cant get it working with the power unit itself would it be safe to wire the heater direct to power ? if so what wires do i use and what rating would be recommended?

From the looks of that first picture, the control at the bottom left with the knob on it is a thermostat... is that correct?

I ask because it looks like it's capillary tube has also been butchered, unless it's coiled up under the box (looks like it's exiting lower right and looks far too short to be useful for sensing temperature anywhere other than the box itself).

I'd say you're going to need the assistance of a professional electrician.

Last edited:
Your pictures show a White flex, is that the supply ? If so, it should go into the main isolator on the left & not the MCB's.

If you wire the heater direct, all your going to do is melt a hole in the tub & possibly cause a fire.
Go with the advice already given: Get a decent spark, wouldn't take them long to knock that into shape.

From the looks of that first picture, the control at the bottom left with the knob on it is a thermostat... is that correct? (YES IT IS)

I ask because it looks like it's capilliary tube has also been butchered, unless it's coiled up under the box (looks like it's exiting lower right and looks far too short to be useful for sensing temperature anywhere other than the box itself). (It's about 1.5m long)

I'd say you're going to need the assistance of a professional electrician. (As i said before the local electrician had less idea than me.)

Would it be safe in your opinion to wire the heater direct to my main board ?

Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. IMG_1224.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

ok. can you at least guide me on how to wire it up using the parts i have and tell me what i need. I can't just afford to go and buy a new unit and the nearest major town is a long way and the chances of them knowing is slim.

If your local Electrician doesn't know how to wire it, then maybe look further afield. That thing is not rocket science to figure out, but get it wrong and you could easily kill someone.
Personally I wouldn't tell you how to wire it up, it's not just a matter of sticking a few wires in the hole.
Once wired it needs to be safety tested before connection to the mains, that needs someone with proper equipment & knowledge.

I can't imagine anyone is going to give you a step-by-step guide for you to wire this up yourself. Too risky, especially without actually seeing it and maybe testing things.
As above, get a sparky in. You're going to be sat in this tub of water - last thing you want is dodgy electrics to it. Full marks for a bit of optimistic DIY though, but not in this case.

The element is a standard 2-tube element, they're common in domestic heaters because they can be configured for different supplies depending what's available.

That whole control panel is problematic. Every single component is miswired and that's not an exageration. Don't connect power it will cause damage and injury. You're really going to have to find someone with the experience to be able to wire it properly and test it.

Reply to Idiot needs help with pool/spa heater. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock