Discuss Idiots guide to how not to wire a garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Given the amount of questions the forum gets about taking power out to a garage/shed this made me think of all them diy'ers who come here looking for info, this is no doubt the consequence of them trying to do things outside their abilities.
I Come across this video on youtube of a shoddy garage install. Says he had been shadowing an electrician for a few weeks and decided to wire his garage up. no mention of type of earthing or notifying to building control though.... He should stick to playing with his motorbike i think.

Given the amount of questions the forum gets about taking power out to a garage/shed this made me think of all them diy'ers who come here looking for info, this is no doubt the consequence of them trying to do things outside their abilities.
I Come across this video on youtube of a shoddy garage install. Says he had been shadowing an electrician for a few weeks and decided to wire his garage up. no mention of type of earthing or notifying to building control though.... He should stick to playing with his motorbike i think.
That glands got a good grip???

At least we know how long a fire takes hold in a plastic CU because of a incorrectly terminated busbar -
Answer = "sometime later" and a little bit
It's not precise but then rarely things are!

No gland at the CU in the house,2 RCDs 1 at the house and 1 in the garage and the best of all "The tug test" anyone know where that is in the OSG?

It reminds me of one of them test questions you get on the testing exams where you are shown an install or pictures and have to identify faults or mistakes.
There are so many issues in this video its hard to know where to begin. I do wonder though how many people have watched it and then copied what the numpty has done?

Why didn't the lights work initially when he powered up ? I got bored before then...
It's funny how many DIYers try to cram as much outer sheath as they can into accessory boxes then make the cable cores stupidly short. :)

Why didn't the lights work initially when he powered up ? I got bored before then...
It's funny how many DIYers try to cram as much outer sheath as they can into accessory boxes then make the cable cores stupidly short. :)
Probably because his mate hit the test button on the RCD and it banged the house one out.

Reply to Idiots guide to how not to wire a garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net