Discuss IEC C13 sockets on a UK faceplates? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyt22

Does anyone know if anyone sells 1 or 2-gang faceplates fitted with IEC C13 socket outlets? These are the unshuttered 3 pin outlets found on many electronic equipment items, with a rating of 6 or 10 amps.

I ask because I have put four 1.5 kVA UPS units in the cellar of my house where it is nice and cool (which is good for their batteries) and have run four 2.5 mm T&E cables from them up to a server room on the second floor. I would like to make a neat job at this end and terminate these cables in C13 outlets on single or twin-gang faceplates fitted into standard metal boxes on the wall. This is so that UPS power won't be confused with normal 13 amp socket outlets.

Or should I be using BS646 15 amp round pin outlets for this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

RS do quite a big range, you may have to make up the unit you want; but all the parts are there,

Regards.

Am i missing something if you used these attached to a ups then the pins would be live an tounchable ?

you surely would need an arrangement to shutter them and to isolate them ?

The 'pins' are female and not exposed on the surface but I agree that being unshuttered, you could easily stick a screwdriver or paper clip in and get a shock. So they're not exactly 'child friendly' but then I've yet to see a server room that is. The main thing is this is not premises cabling, it's basically an extension plugged into a UPS outlet that is meant to look neater than a trailing socket lying on the floor. So I don't think IEE wiring regulations would apply to this.

Yes, someone has already mentioned making this faceplate/socket up from bits and I have already done this before in my lounge (to feed power from the on/off swicth on a hi-fi preamp to a remote power amp on the far side of the room) but I would have thought such things would be on the market by now and save me a bit of extra work. After all, 20 years ago I was making up sat outlets by mounting F connectors onto single gang blank plates but now even Wilkinsons sell 'em.

Andy

I think if you are installing fixed cabling then the bs7671 would apply (feel free to educate me if I'm wrong)

It is fixed cabling but not directly connected to a public electricity supply and also, it connects to the UPS units via plugs & sockets. So it's a glorified extension lead really - I could have just as easily used 3 core flex instead of T&E.

Anyway, I've decided to go ahead and instead of using C13 sockets, I'm making up faceplates with C19 sockets as these are even less likely to be confused with anything normally found in a domestic premises (plus the fact I already have C13 PDUs with C20 plugs on them).

Andy

We use normal 13A DSO with red face plates in the server room at work to distinguish UPS outlets.

I had thought of that but there are already red (and black) BS1363 outlets elsewhere in the house to match the decor so I thought I'd go for something different. There will be at least one rack in the room with PDUs terminated in a C20 plug.

Reply to IEC C13 sockets on a UK faceplates? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock