Discuss IET membership - ECS fast track in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Says on the ECS website, that you need to be eligible for a gold card before being able to apply for the black card.

Don’t really want to apply for two cards, if only one will suffice.

The problem with the card is that all site managers are concerned with is that you have a card that they can photocopy for their site file. They mostly would not know what my level of competency is. It is reliant upon the company that is employing them making sure although they may be competent in doing a job they have not got the academic qualification to go on the card so in theory should not be undertaking it without supervision.

Site managers are concerned with operatives having the relevant H&S qualification.
A valid and in date CSCS or ECS card is proof of this.
Photocopying the card is just record keeping.

The various trade Managers are concerned with the operatives having the qualifications required to do the work.
The colour of of the trade card should be proof of this.

I’ve worked on sites, where not only do they require operatives to produce physical forms of ID and Trade cards, they also require them to be verified via a third party as genuine.
Westfields required their contractors to verify their operatives IDs with a company that they nominated.
The contractors also had to verify the trade cards with the respective issuing organisations.
This was quite easy with the ECS, each operative had to log in to their ‘My ECS’ and email a copy of their card to the contractor.
With the CSCS scheme it was a little more involved, they had to get the CSCS people to email a copy of the receipt for the operative’s card.

One of the reasons contractors use agencies, is because they rely on the agencies conducting due diligence on their workers. Verifying cards and qualifications and obtaining references.

One of the reasons contractors use agencies, is because they rely on the agencies conducting due diligence on their workers. Verifying cards and qualifications and obtaining references.

The main reason companies use agencies is, they get 60 days credit and normally get paid themselves 42 days. Most companies are not cash rich and need credit to survive, hence credit at wholesalers now labour force credit via agencies who are also funded from an out source also take a cut for their financed payroll services.

If you're a member you can now have your membership status and the IET logo printed on your ECS card.

Works out to be quite an expensive logo when you add the membership fee and card renewal together :eek:

Here's a photo of someone's I found on Google image:
IET membership - ECS fast track Screenshot_20190412-183828_Chrome - EletriciansForums.net

Says on the ECS website, that you need to be eligible for a gold card before being able to apply for the black card.

Don’t really want to apply for two cards, if only one will suffice.

Whatever application you are doing, try to do it online. I did mine recently and it came back in less than 2 weeks.

On another electrically oriented social media platform some guys were moaning about months and months waiting for their cards, some other guys popped up and said "What you on about, mine took less than a week"
It transpired the difference seemed to be postal vs online applications. Shouldn't be like that but apparently it is at the moment.

Reply to IET membership - ECS fast track in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock