Discuss Ikea - sockets in units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
Im in the process of quoting for a kitchen refit which ikea fitters will be fitting whilst i complete electrical works. Dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer are all freestanding but below worktop so my plan was to provide a switched fused spur with single socket for each. Now, ikea have asked if i could place the single sockets in unit which i'm happy to do but how should i route cables from chase to unit. I did think about using a flex outlet plate and wire the single socket into this which to me seems fine and cant see any reason or reg that says not to - and neater

am i wrong ?

Why do they want them in the cupboards so you then either have to chop the appliance fitted plug off voiding any warranty or drill a big hole in the side of the cabinet to pass the plug through?

I prefer my sockets behind the appliances with switched fused spurs with neons above. No issues with warranties or nasty holes in my new cabinets.

Why do they want them in the cupboards so you then either have to chop the appliance fitted plug off voiding any warranty or drill a big hole in the side of the cabinet to pass the plug through?

Chopping off a plug doesn't generally void the manufacturers warranty, just ask them, I did. Drilling a hole in the bottom off a floor unit, is all that is necessary, generally. Allows the appliance to be pulled out for maintenance, with plug top still attached. Some service engineers aren't allowed to touch FCU's/flex outlets.

Im in the process of quoting for a kitchen refit which ikea fitters will be fitting whilst i complete electrical works. Dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer are all freestanding but below worktop so my plan was to provide a switched fused spur with single socket for each. Now, ikea have asked if i could place the single sockets in unit which i'm happy to do but how should i route cables from chase to unit. I did think about using a flex outlet plate and wire the single socket into this which to me seems fine and cant see any reason or reg that says not to - and neater
it would be wise to put the sockets inside the carcase for the appliance's or are you not falimarised with kitchen refurbishments .

Understand about fitting socket in unit however not sure how to route cable from chase to unit. The thought of just bringing the cable out of the wall to unit feels somewhat shoddy. Any thoughts on using a outlet plate and wiring the socket into this ?

Please do not place the socket behind the unit and have a fused spur above - the socket won't be accessible and if the fuse in the appliance plug fails its a PITA to replace. When the RCD starts tripping, as it will, you will need to be able to isolate the appliance ...

Sockets in the adjacent cupboard is the way forward.

Good dialogue with the fitters is my recommendation - and yes this will mean working with them as the kitchen goes in.

Understand about fitting socket in unit however not sure how to route cable from chase to unit. The thought of just bringing the cable out of the wall to unit feels somewhat shoddy. Any thoughts on using a outlet plate and wiring the socket into this ?

The cable(s) will come out of the wall, at a suitable point, bridge the service gap (25-65mmish dependant on make & unit type) and then into the back box for your particular accessory. The exit point from the chase for the cable(s) doesn't need to be accurate, the cable(s) can be clipped to the wall in the service void. Not done much kitchen work OP?

PS If you client does want isolation switch above worktop, in my experience most don't, use a DP switch with socket outlet not FCU. Bit neater and less 1362 fuses to contend with.

The cable(s) will come out of the wall, at a suitable point, bridge the service gap (25-65mmish dependant on make & unit type) and then into the back box for your particular accessory. The exit point from the chase for the cable(s) doesn't need to be accurate, the cable(s) can be clipped to the wall in the service void. Not done much kitchen work OP?

PS If you client does want isolation switch above worktop, in my experience most don't, use a DP switch with socket outlet not FCU. Bit neater and less 1362 fuses to contend with.
ok great thanks for the detailed reply

You have obviously not met Ikea units - they don't have a service void. Nor do they have a standard plinth height. Won't get a plinth heater in there!

If you are going to put switched sockets in the units,don't put any sort of junction or flex outlet to feed them.
Site them high in a cupboard towards the front,mounting the outlet side ways up so the flex and the plug top does not droop, use stick on trunking to enclose and support the cable and machines flex

Rather than running the circuit direct to these cupboards,think about a grid assembly with a single cable for you to deal with for each outlet

Bring the cables out at a level slightly below the top and within the proposed cupboard position,just leave them dangle harmlessly until the cupboards are fitted,get the fitter to drill a access hole high up for your appliance flex,job done

so my plan was to provide a switched fused spur with single socket for each.

Which is stupid. You don't need two fuses in series.

If you must have above worktop isolation (which is not required anyway) use double pole 20amp switches. Don't use ones with neons as in a couple of years they will be black,

Reply to Ikea - sockets in units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net