Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss I'm new on any forum today!! in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Grampabill

Grampabill New EF Member

Hi all.
    I have never joined a forum of any kind before so please bear with me if I ask what appear to be silly questions. It is not immediately apparent just how one posts so I hope I've got it right.
    I am a retired professional photographer who has always enjoyed fixing things (computers, cameras electronics etc.) but have only a very basic knowledge concerning "real" electricity and all it's foibles. I can and have changed light fittings and wall sockets quite cheerfully but I have questions concerning the niggling little things. My question for today is what is the difference between a charger and a power supply?
    The reason I ask is the charger for the wife's hand held vacuum cleaner has given up the ghost and, on examining it, it says on the label 'Power supply/Charger 24v 150 ma output. To replace it from the manufacturer the price is an eye watering £25.00 whereas Maplins sell lots with roughly the same output for approx. £9.00. Does the ma output really matter in this case?
    Sorry for being so long winded but as I have said this is all very new for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Welcome along.

3. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

The voltage is more important than the ma output although you should get one which is roughly the same ma output as the one you are exchanging it for, it it is too low it takes longer to charge and too high may overheat the battery pack by charging too fast, but it must be 24v. I have recently lost the charger for my dewalt radio and found a 24v 2 amp one on eBay for £9. The Dewalt replacement was £80. Make sure the charge tip is the same size and polarity!

4. Grampabill

Grampabill New EF Member

Thank you for your prompt and clear reply. One thing you could perhaps clarify for me can you define what is 'roughly' the same ma output as 150ma?

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    anything from 150mA - 500mA should do the job. the device will only pull what it needs. the critical bit is the final plug that goes into the device. polarity and physical fit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Welcome along Gramps

7. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Welcome to the mad house.
    You mentioned Maplins, they are closing down so if you go in store the discount ranges from 10 upto 30% off most decent things, they are also quite helpful in pointing you in the right direction. be a shame when they close.

• Agree Agree x 1