Discuss I'm new on any forum today!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have never joined a forum of any kind before so please bear with me if I ask what appear to be silly questions. It is not immediately apparent just how one posts so I hope I've got it right.
I am a retired professional photographer who has always enjoyed fixing things (computers, cameras electronics etc.) but have only a very basic knowledge concerning "real" electricity and all it's foibles. I can and have changed light fittings and wall sockets quite cheerfully but I have questions concerning the niggling little things. My question for today is what is the difference between a charger and a power supply?
The reason I ask is the charger for the wife's hand held vacuum cleaner has given up the ghost and, on examining it, it says on the label 'Power supply/Charger 24v 150 ma output. To replace it from the manufacturer the price is an eye watering £25.00 whereas Maplins sell lots with roughly the same output for approx. £9.00. Does the ma output really matter in this case?
Sorry for being so long winded but as I have said this is all very new for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The voltage is more important than the ma output although you should get one which is roughly the same ma output as the one you are exchanging it for, it it is too low it takes longer to charge and too high may overheat the battery pack by charging too fast, but it must be 24v. I have recently lost the charger for my dewalt radio and found a 24v 2 amp one on eBay for £9. The Dewalt replacement was £80. Make sure the charge tip is the same size and polarity!

The voltage is more important than the ma output although you should get one which is roughly the same ma output as the one you are exchanging it for, it it is too low it takes longer to charge and too high may overheat the battery pack by charging too fast, but it must be 24v. I have recently lost the charger for my dewalt radio and found a 24v 2 amp one on eBay for £9. The Dewalt replacement was £80. Make sure the charge tip is the same size and polarity!
Thank you for your prompt and clear reply. One thing you could perhaps clarify for me can you define what is 'roughly' the same ma output as 150ma?

Thank you for your prompt and clear reply. One thing you could perhaps clarify for me can you define what is 'roughly' the same ma output as 150ma?
anything from 150mA - 500mA should do the job. the device will only pull what it needs. the critical bit is the final plug that goes into the device. polarity and physical fit.

Welcome along Gramps

Welcome to the mad house.
You mentioned Maplins, they are closing down so if you go in store the discount ranges from 10 upto 30% off most decent things, they are also quite helpful in pointing you in the right direction. be a shame when they close.

Here I am again with another (probably!) simple problem for those who are in the know.
I'm having problems at my holiday home with clients continually switching off the plug which powers the shower in the bathroom and being phoned by people, at all hours, to complain that the shower does not work so I'm going to replace the switched socket with an unswitched cable outlet the only thing is I'm lost as how to wire it. Can anyone help please? Photo of rear of item attached. OOPS! I don't know how to attach the photo. HELP!

I think I may have figured it out!

I'm new on any forum today!! Socket rear.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

fed in to supply L and N respectively. out from L load and N load. earth wire into E supply and E load.

ps like the dog.

That restraint is probably the worst attempt at cord retention I have ever seen, another reason not to buy MK. Anything over 1.0 you will be struggling then when you fit it to the back box it comes out again.

Get an electrician in, your are renting this property out so do the responsible thing.

You would probably actually want an unswitched fused spur with cable outlet rather than the flex outlet plate that you have. This would retain the fused part of the plug you are removing.
The cord restraint is to prevent stress on the electrical connections, unfortunately that one requires the flex to manoeuvre away from the cord restraint to install the cable, however if you push the cable into and up against the restraint it may stay in place.

Reply to I'm new on any forum today!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock