Discuss I'm told this is against regulations? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a quick question which I wondered if anybody would be kind enough to answer for me.

I'm looking to buy an electric car and would need to get a car charger installed on the outside of my garage wall so I posted on an electrical car forum and have been told our electrical setup may not be suitable.

I live in a 5 year old detached house which has a separate garage at the end of the garden (approx 10 meters away). The garage has electric and has been fed via a cable which runs under the lawn and into the house which goes through the brickwork and into the back of the dining room wall socket.

The garage is on the same fuse as the rear of the house sockets so the only way to isolate the isolate power to the garage would be to knock out half of the house sockets.

I've been told on another forum that this setup is not right, the forum :

"This diagram shows what is acceptable as a spur off a ring main. As you will see anything bar one socket on a spur needs to be protected with a FCU.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/ring-main.11895/full?d=1243854953

You may have some restitution under the NHBC scheme."

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please? Is our setup against regs?

It may not be acceptable depending on what else is in the garage and the type of car charging load. If a single cable is run from a ring final circuit that is classed a s a spur, and a spur may only supply one single or twin outlet. If the spur is run through a 13a fused connection unit then unlimited sockets may be connected to it but the load will be limited to 13a. Car charger points may be 13a, 16a or 32a. It would only be possible to utilise a spur off a ring for a 13a point. There is also a special location section in the regulations for car charger points, and your final installation will need to comply with those requirements, with restrictions on type of earthing etc. Your garage installation may not meet those requirements. Get an installer to check it out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A dedicated circuit should be supplied for the EV charge point regardless AFAIK.

If you have concerns about the way the garage is arranged you could get a local electrician to investigate it for you and provide a letter to fire off to the developers.

If it were a much older house, you might expect something like that (regardless of whether it's right or not) - on a 5-year-old property? I'd be making inquiries as to how on earth the developers signed that off.

Wirepuller, initially it was just the one light and one socket in the garage but another electrician has since installed 2 more sockets and more lighting.

Andy is correct, 722.311 requires a dedicated circuit for electric vehicle charger points. So the garage supply is a no go if it is a spur off an existing circuit.

If it were a much older house, you might expect something like that (regardless of whether it's right or not) - on a 5-year-old property? I'd be making inquiries as to how on earth the developers signed that off.
Unfortunately I have seen more than a few new builds where the garage power is a radial off the kitchen RFC. Ugh !

From my experience with house builders , a lot of them done away with detached garages being wired as standard (especially the smaller houses) and made it a extra. This had the knock on effect of unless contracts were exchanged it would not be wired and unfortunately this meant that in some cases the feed for the detached garage would be taken from the back of a socket.

As I said you need to do some reading.
It’s all made very clear in the IET code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installation.

Agree with that.
If source is PME then it needs to be TT if it's mounted outside a building. This is also dependent on your own risk assessment providing evidence there are no simultaneously accessible extraneous parts belonging to the PME system.
There is currently a "get-out" which allows use of PME "if not reasonably practicable". I suspect that is being used more than sensible by many EV charger installers. This also relies on a credible risk assessment (your neck being on the line in the court) to say that's all OK for whatever reasons you choose. The latter get-out will disappear completely in 18th as I believe.
And don't forget that the TT earth you provide needs to be LOW. Chargers (certainly 32A ones) will monitor EFLI and not allow charge if it's too high. Notionally 200 ohms, but don't believe it. I have it on good authority from a Renault tech that their chargers might need as low as 70 Ohms to operate reliably. - That is likely to need more than a 4' twig in the soil.
And don't forget type A RCD and probably a D type breaker.

Reply to I'm told this is against regulations? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock