Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Immersion heater and central heating on same circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. BillyH

BillyH Guest

Would you loop of an existing immersion heater spur for a new central heating spur or, would you run a seperate supply?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I would preferably run a new supply, or feed the boiler from another circuit.

3. micknew

micknew Electrician's Arms

Install a single socket and put a plugtops on the immersion heater flex and boiler feed.
    That way only one can be used, you don't normally need both on at once anyway.
    Gas being cheaper than electricity the immersion is usually only used in an emergency.

4. BillyH

BillyH Guest

Why would you? You would never use both together as the immersion would be a back up only. Y plan is minimal load any way

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

1, I don't like immersion heaters on plug tops.
    2, I wouldn't have both methods of water heating on the same circuit, as a fault in one could knock out the other.
    3, The immersion heater is quite a large load, and it is recommended that such loads are placed on separate circuits.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Andyfm

Andyfm Regular EF Member

Put them both on a 20 amp radial - immersion fused at 13 amps ( hope i`m not gonna start another row here about running 13 amps through a 13 amp fuse) and CH at 3 amps or 5 amps as required

7. SIIVION

SIIVION Regular EF Member

Definately seperate.

Immersion plugs do tend to get a bit hot.

8. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Regular EF Member

Strangely enough it seemed to be a common practice to wire an immersion heater from a ring main circuit in the 1960s using a switched spur unit for isolation.

I have seen a quite a few overheated fuse holders over the years !

9. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

Personally I tap Immersion heater circuits quite a bit, cos they never get used anyway. Imm heaters about 12.5 amps and a 2.5 radial can go on a 20amp MCB so not really a prob load wise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BillyH

BillyH Guest

20 dp switch for immersion heater and dp sw fused spur @ 3a on a 2.5 radial would satisfy loading but why would you want to run 2 2.5 radials? Personally i would never run an immersion on a sw fused spur

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

I have never seen an Immersion on anything other than a SFS. It is after all a 13 Amp fuse, surely theres a reason that all imm heaters draw almost exactly 13 amps

12. PC Electrics

PC Electrics Guest

Although many existing immersions have a swFCU. Often on a 15A 3036. I'd leave it as is unless there's a problem, but would install a 20A DP by choice.

99% of domestic ch systems will pull less than 1A - it's the pump that's the large consumer and these are rarely more than 150W. So, CH and immersion on a 16A mcb should present no problems. Both should have DP isolation (remember most FCUs are SP).

13. PC Electrics

PC Electrics Guest

It was usual in the 60s to fit a small square 20A DP sw.
    In the villages round our way where there is no gas people tend to use immersions rather than oil for hot water. I've come across many burned out swFCUs. Always replace with 20A DP sw.

14. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

Read the regs regarding immersion heater supplies...

15. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

I'm assuming everyone has a copy of the regs of course....