Discuss Immersion heater and Economy 7 switches getting hot in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fawcettspython

I have 2 switches that control my hot water, one is an Economy 7 switch the other a standard immersion heater switch.

I have recently noticed that both of these switches become really hot to the touch if they are left on for about half an hour.
I had noticed them become slighly warm before, and this may be a red herring but there was a power cut a couple of weeks ago which affected my whole street- this
tripped the Economy 7 switch at the main fusebox and the problem seems to have occurred after this.

The switches become warm independently of each other - they dont have to both be switched on for them to heat up, though I admit that I havent tried to put them both on at once
in case the fuse blows. I dont know much about electrics and I am worried about getting ripped off - any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached pictures of the switches and the water heater in case this sheds any light.

Attachments

• 20130716_071450.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20130722_072706.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
Perhaps loose or poor connections in the switches. I've got a small collection of these that have started to melt or char for this reason (that I've replaced), suggest you get them checked.

Well they are MKs and they have had quality problems years ago I woulf not go past them now would not go near them also they are switched fused outlets they should be 20A DP switches so best change them to Grabtree

Your E7 switch becomes live when E7 begins at night for heating the whole tank, whereas the other one is a permanent supply for you to switch on when you need a boost. I wouldn't worry that they are 13 amp switched fused connection units, but the getting hot part indicates loose connections or switches on the way out. My advice is to get a qualified electrician to come and check this out for you.

as above 2 posts. for peace of mind get them checked. it's only a call-out fee, max. £50 if it were me (+ any parts used, of course)

Reply to Immersion heater and Economy 7 switches getting hot in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net