Discuss Immersion heater element replacement. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening guys and girls, just a quick question. When asked to look at a faulty immersion heater , do you suggest a plumber ( likely to be faulty element) or do you take a look, test then advise that they need a plumber when it is a faulty element and charge a call out for testing or do you take on the plumbing aspect of the job and change the element yourself. The reason I ask is that I have been asked to look at an immersion heater that has stopped working, likely to need replacement element, dont want to suggest a plumber incase it's not, also wouldn't want to charge incase it is. What are your views.

You can't recommend the customer calls a plumber until you prove what and where the fault is. You could maybe charge the customer a half hour for the testing.

Evening guys and girls, just a quick question. When asked to look at a faulty immersion heater , do you suggest a plumber ( likely to be faulty element) or do you take a look, test then advise that they need a plumber when it is a faulty element and charge a call out for testing or do you take on the plumbing aspect of the job and change the element yourself. The reason I ask is that I have been asked to look at an immersion heater that has stopped working, likely to need replacement element, dont want to suggest a plumber incase it's not, also wouldn't want to charge incase it is. What are your views.
Visit the client, test the system and form your opinions as to what are the next steps to be taken, if it's a duff element tell your customer what is required and in some cases who to contact, submit your invoice and wait for a response, it's simple really, not rocket science.

Last edited:
Just go and test the continuity on the element, confirm if its faulty and then advise the client to get a plumber to change it. You wont be covered by your insurance if you flood the place or cripple the tank. You also have to have a plumbing qual to work on pressurised cylinders, just charge an hourly fee.

Pete, it's not rocket science, on that you are correct. Just wondered how you guys deal with the situation that's all. As I guess I feel guilty for charging somebody £xx to then inform them that they need to pay somebody else to correct the issue. That's just me I guess, but obviously I have to charge something.

Most plumbers would be able to test and replace an faulty immersion and have it as van stock. If you can't test and replace then do the right thing and tell them to get someone else.

Most of the plumbers I know have no electrical test equipment whatsoever. Not even a multi meter. However I agree that isn't always the case.

I find that it's often the stat thats faulty anyway.

You may find the 18" element has a unit built 3" above it making removal impossible, also check the age of the install as elements can "weld" themselves to the tank making removal risky.

You should go and have a look. Will be very quick to determine so you won't need to charge a lot of time. Don't just assume it is the element that has failed though. As already suggested....Maybe it is the thermostat not closing. Maybe there is an issue with the supply upto the unit?

agree with all above posts. go out, find the fault, advise customer of the problem, if it's a failed element, then pass it it on to a plumber. charge for your time and expertise. you're not a charity. might be lucky and just need to press the reset --- on the stat. the big problem with replacing an element is the risk of damage caused, not covered by your insurance. i used to do them, but not any more. anyone want to buy a 4" ring spanner?

Get a plumber (and other trades) as a contact. Then you can scratch his back and he can scratch yours (& not in the literal sense SWD). Then jobs like these, are nice & simple. That will help you build your business.

As others have said, go there and prove what's wrong - if it is the element that's a job for a plumber!
but OP will need to go back and make sure plumber has put all the right wires in all the right holes, with no twisted and taped joints into bell wire, then test and issue a MWC.

Don't like those immersion jobs, so I am biased...but being so, I would just tell 'em to get a plumber in. Wouldn't go out to look at it just to say the same thing. The older cylinders were thicker, I think, so could stand more spannering, but a buckled, leaking cylinder on a Saturday night is a nightmare.
Of course, were I a plumber, I would upsell to a different system! LOL!

Reply to Immersion heater element replacement. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock