Discuss Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, Im new to this forum and have read everything with great interest. I was due to have a 4 Kw system fitted today but been put back to next Thursday. I have been looking for ways of optimising my consumption of my PV output and accept that using it to heat water and store it seems a good idea. The point I raise is a standard 36" x 18" cylinder will have about 25 gallons of water and from cold will take less than an hour to be heated to 65 degs. What are you going to do with the rest of your output on a clear long summers day?

My first thought was to use a low power element in the very bottom of the cylinder, say 400 watts, and using a timer, and the output profile, have the element switched on during peak hours, say 1000 to 1500 for a south facing roof. this should heat the water without importing any power from the grid and allow other surplus to be consumed by other activities.

Just a thought!
It's a quick fix, but not a very efficient one!
If you check my solar power graph for today you will see that for the majority of the day my 3.3kw system has generated less than 200W, with a short peak for a few minutes up to 800W. Now if you check the Home Power Usage graph you will see that for the majority of the time home appliances have used all of that solar power - and more besides!
A quick check of the Accumulated Heater Power graph shows that today, only 5Wh of power was switched to my immersion heater.
So my point is that if you used a simple timer, the vast majority of the immersion heater power used today would be drawn from the grid as chargeable units, especially if you were running any other appliances at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, Im new to this forum and have read everything with great interest. I was due to have a 4 Kw system fitted today but been put back to next Thursday. I have been looking for ways of optimising my consumption of my PV output and accept that using it to heat water and store it seems a good idea. The point I raise is a standard 36" x 18" cylinder will have about 25 gallons of water and from cold will take less than an hour to be heated to 65 degs. What are you going to do with the rest of your output on a clear long summers day?

My first thought was to use a low power element in the very bottom of the cylinder, say 400 watts, and using a timer, and the output profile, have the element switched on during peak hours, say 1000 to 1500 for a south facing roof. this should heat the water without importing any power from the grid and allow other surplus to be consumed by other activities.

Just a thought!

Yes on a good day there is plenty of spare capacity. I use a thermostat that switches between tanks. It pulls a contactor in, then I heat the extra tank. This can be continued with another contactor to say switch over to a storage heater or under floor heating. There are many possiblities. As you have probably gathered, this forum has developed methods of only using the spare capacity and not importing. Not standing by and flicking a switch on when sunny or using a timer and hoping for the best. The systems here run automatically and switch off when not enough power is available.

Hi all just to let you all know if your meter goes back and you dont inform you supplier they can refuse to pay your FIF's
EDF condition of pv FIT's

I'll begin with the customary apology - I'm new here, so hope this fits (no -pun intended) in with the current thread.
I have solar PV and i too had been looking at EMMA, far too expensive, so I am in the process of testing a circuit which reads the flassing LED on my normal electricity meter and creates a signal to increase or reduce a controlling voltage. This is non-intrusive and low voltage using commercial PSU for the 5v. Now what I am looking for is a commercial 3kW phase controller for the immersion heater such that I need not worry about approvals, safety regs. etc should I make this for sale. Has anyone found a source of such stand-alone phase controllers (burst firing would not cust down the RMS power used per cycle). I have seen Crydom mentioned in earlier posts, any other leads wold be most welcome.

I'll begin with the customary apology - I'm new here, so hope this fits (no -pun intended) in with the current thread.
I have solar PV and i too had been looking at EMMA, far too expensive, so I am in the process of testing a circuit which reads the flassing LED on my normal electricity meter and creates a signal to increase or reduce a controlling voltage. This is non-intrusive and low voltage using commercial PSU for the 5v. Now what I am looking for is a commercial 3kW phase controller for the immersion heater such that I need not worry about approvals, safety regs. etc should I make this for sale. Has anyone found a source of such stand-alone phase controllers (burst firing would not cust down the RMS power used per cycle). I have seen Crydom mentioned in earlier posts, any other leads wold be most welcome.
ERR! surley the point is you dont want to import any thing unless you need too. If you are counting red flashes you will be importing. Using a current coil, it slips around the cable and is not directly connected to it. So it is non invasive as well. You need a circuit to balance the demand to zero or just below so you export only a few watts. I have used the Crydom and it is expensive but is a nice package that can be bolted to a metal case to disperse the amount of heat it generates, which isn't too much. It will pay for it's self reasonably quickly.

Thanks for the warning, but something said earlier on in this thread (I think) put me on to a solution. The flashing rate is proportional to the import rate, so it slows down to 'off' when there is virtually no flow but then goes solid ON when exporting. I can detect this and my next stage is to use this for proportional control of the immersion heater. I understand that the clip on current meter cannot determine which way the electricity is flowing, so no use there.
As it stands at the moment, I have an indicator in the kitchen so I can manipulate my appliance loading for best use of available power - I can tumble-dry my anorac on 1Kw or 2Kw setting as appropriate :)
Eventually I'll have an RF link to a portable power controller for immersion heater or storage heater - if it works. I hope to be able to offer these for sale once I have proved it and created PCBs, but I do not want the responsibility for maiins safety. I recon it will cost about £50 plus power controller to do what EMMA does for £1500!

...The flashing rate is proportional to the import rate, so it slows down to 'off' when there is virtually no flow but then goes solid ON when exporting. I can detect this...
But it will be red if you are exporting 3kW and also red if you are exporting 3W, so how will you know whether there is enough residual power to run an immersion heater?
I understand that the clip on current meter cannot determine which way the electricity is flowing, so no use there.
Yes, clip on current meters can determine which was the electricity is flowing, by comparing the voltage phase of the mains cycle with the current, at the same time as telling you how much current is flowing.
I hope to be able to offer these for sale once I have proved it and created PCBs, but I do not want the responsibility for maiins safety. I recon it will cost about £50 plus power controller to do what EMMA does for £1500!
Good luck fella!!

Hi all, have been reading all your posts, and very interesting, but (to me) far to technical,
Whilst I have an understanding of mains electrics, electronics are magic.
Maybe one of you learned gents can tell me if this would work:
Very basic but use something like Owl, Efergy meter with alarm, in place of buzzer fix a relay connected to whatever immersion /mains socket, set alarm at desired level, and hey presto when sun shines turns on relay, free electric.
Would need something to stop relay chatter.
Thoughts please....

Thanks for the replys. My first problem with any of the systems that have been developed here is distance. My mains comes into the middle of my bungalow where the main consumer unit is. The inverter is in an outbuilding som 30 meters away. The output from a clamp would be lost or degraded over that distance and therefore make comparisons more difficult. I guess the clamp output could be amplified and then re calibrated before it entered a comparitor but my days of electronic engineering where long past, OC71 transisters were replacing valves when I started.

Thanks for the replys. My first problem with any of the systems that have been developed here is distance. My mains comes into the middle of my bungalow where the main consumer unit is. The inverter is in an outbuilding som 30 meters away. The output from a clamp would be lost or degraded over that distance and therefore make comparisons more difficult. I guess the clamp output could be amplified and then re calibrated before it entered a comparitor but my days of electronic engineering where long past, OC71 transisters were replacing valves when I started.

Ok simple solution . Use a current clamp that gives you a milli amp output say 4 to 20 is industry standard. Current flowing in a circuit is the same therfore distance makes no difference, if you have 6 ma at the coil you will have 6 ma at your measurement. You can get these coils from LEM.

But it will be red if you are exporting 3kW and also red if you are exporting 3W, so how will you know whether there is enough residual power to run an immersion heater?

Yes, clip on current meters can determine which was the electricity is flowing, by comparing the voltage phase of the mains cycle with the current, at the same time as telling you how much current is flowing.

Good luck fella!!

Paul. I think that sums it up very well :- )

Hi all, have been reading all your posts, and very interesting, but (to me) far to technical,
Whilst I have an understanding of mains electrics, electronics are magic.
Maybe one of you learned gents can tell me if this would work:
Very basic but use something like Owl, Efergy meter with alarm, in place of buzzer fix a relay connected to whatever immersion /mains socket, set alarm at desired level, and hey presto when sun shines turns on relay, free electric.
Would need something to stop relay chatter.
Thoughts please....

Yes in a very crude way that would work. BUT! and it is a big but! You have no way of compensating for load on the house. So you maybe importing already. Ie the washing machine may be on . the oven running? then you just switch on 3 kw of load straight off the grid.

OC71?
You've just taken me back over 40 years when I started in electronic engineering!
But don't let the years hold you back - I changed career in 1979 and until the past 12 months never touched electronics. It's a steep learning curve, but the basics will hold you in good stead.
At some stage, the inverter must feed back to your consumer unit, and that's where the clamp should be fitted.
If not, you might consider using 2 of these. Which are microprocessors with RF capability, so they talk to each other, and the software provided by this site would deliver your goal.

Have a look at openenergymonitor.org - there is a lot there including wireless sensors. Of course if the load in the outbuilding isn't significant, you can just measure the current at the house end.

Good luck fella!!

Thanks for your input.

As for your 3W v. 3kw point, my scheme will use the flash rate for feed-back. If the non-controlled house load goes up, or a cloud passes by, the led will begin to flash and the immersion heater loading will be reduced until equilibrium is restored. I've actually proved this to myself manually by selectively changing loading within the house, even down to varying load on 500W of dimmable lighting.

Interesting, I thought that the clip-on monitors only acted like a single turn transformer, I don't see how voltage phase is determined nor how it shows direction (I'm a now-redundant RF engineer working on this as a challenge, so I don't understand DC, such as mains! )

Current transformers are indeed unable to give you current direction, but the point is you look at the voltage as well (invasive). That's why plug-in consumption meters are theoretically more accurate than the Owl (helped by actually being able to measure the RMS voltage as well as the phase).

Unfortunately the flash rate isn't much use because you never want it to be in that mode - you always want to prevent any power coming from the grid, especially if you're trading the immersion heater off against gas which costs so much less.

I've actually come to the conclusion that although it's very satisfying to heat your water from PV, it doesn't save you that much money and it's quite an environmentally-unfriendly way of doing it if you normally use gas - the electricity should be used to offset power generation rather than domestic gas consumption. Running fridge-freezers continuously off it might (might!) be a better idea.

Current transformers are indeed unable to give you current direction, but the point is you look at the voltage as well (invasive). That's why plug-in consumption meters are theoretically more accurate than the Owl (helped by actually being able to measure the RMS voltage as well as the phase).

Unfortunately the flash rate isn't much use because you never want it to be in that mode - you always want to prevent any power coming from the grid, especially if you're trading the immersion heater off against gas which costs so much less.

I've actually come to the conclusion that although it's very satisfying to heat your water from PV, it doesn't save you that much money and it's quite an environmentally-unfriendly way of doing it if you normally use gas - the electricity should be used to offset power generation rather than domestic gas consumption. Running fridge-freezers continuously off it might (might!) be a better idea.

In the past few months, I have monitored my weekly usage of peak, off-peak electricity and gas. For two weeks I heated water by off-peak only (i.e no solar PV to distort metering), and for another two weeks by gas only. There was very little difference in cost which surprised me.
I agree that using electricity, however generated, during peak periods (day-time) is less environmentally desireable than using off-peak. On the crude assumtion that any power I can put into the hot water tank will offset mains derived power later and that EMMA claims a theoretical return of about 8% for this alone on an expenditure of well in excess of £1500, I'm happy for me to press ahead with my home made scheme which should be almost as effective for one tenth the cost, beside its a challenge for the grey cells.
As for the flash rate, every time it records a flash, the power dumped into the immersion heater will reduce, I can live with a long period between flashes as this represents a consumption of just 1Wh.

I'll get back with my results in a moth or sos time and crow or eat humble-pie as appropriate.

Thanks Inie Meanie for reply,
I agree with your comments but I was thinking mainly during the day when at work, house uses about 400w during day set alarm for 1500w fix heater/ hot water to come on then, just a thought, but thanks anyway..

This is far to much thread to digest, and I appreciate the electronics guys will be looking for the satisfaction of designing thier own control, but for the average punter, I would look to use one of these, they are ~£100 + the cost of LEM current transducer, and mains switching devices...

CAREL

Its actually a parametric refrigeration controller, but they come with analogue and digital inputs, and 4 x volt free output contacts.

You can set them up to cascade elements on or off based on export, and add switching delays etc....they are a great bit of kit, I use them to stop biogas compressors becoming inhibited due to low ambient temperatures.

Reply to Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock