Discuss Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Company is called Howden Electro Heating, 01698 573100, and they can supply a 1Kw 27 inch immersion heater for £83.52, including vat and carraige.
Ray

hope you dont mind me saying but why pay £83 for a 1 kw immersion heater. I've found a thyristor controller for about £40 and you keep your existing 3 Kw immersion, just need a controller to run it, thats the easy bit.
Use all spare electric up to 2.5 Kw

hope you dont mind me saying but why pay £83 for a 1 kw immersion heater. I've found a thyristor controller for about £40 and you keep your existing 3 Kw immersion, just need a controller to run it, thats the easy bit.
Use all spare electric up to 2.5 Kw
Are you using a home built Phase Angle Controller or a ready made, off the shelf solution

Paul Hi

I'm using an off the shelf unit. It's tried and tested and resonable cheap (2.5 Kw).

There are two units i've considered

0 Kw - 2.5 Kw and the other 0 Kw - 3 Kw

Both are controlled via a 0 - 10 V DC signal and the plc i am using does that fine.

There is a dead band at the lower end but never the less any thing over 500w is used. so if there is 1.75 kw spare, it is used. The unit switches off the immersion, or any other device if any power is taken from the grid. also switches itself back on when there is spare power.

Andy

Ray see posts 48, 71, 73, 74, 82, 84

The units are available from RS (Thyristor controller) PLC from Rs or EDC (program for PLC from Me!!!) CTs from Scatterrgood and Johnson. I could do a deal on all of them.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Sounds excellent, but I have a confession to make; I am not an electrician, so though I get the gist of what you are proposing, I am not sure that I would have the skills to put it all together and set it up. Am happy to spend the cash if I am able to set it up myself. What do you reckon?
Ray

Ray you have my email address, lets coresspond via external means.

As long as the PV system has been fitted a certain way and you can put the equipment in a "box"
(to suit your location) . Not installations have the room to mount everything. The rest is easy.

Andy

Hi Andy
I have been looking at the Crouzet controller M3, Did you need to get an extension module to give the 0 to 10 vdc output? Or is there a model that does it all in one? I am at a similar point as I have just bought the coils from Scats and I have a Crydom thyristor 0 to 10 vdc. Would you be able to let me know what the part number is to save me making a possible expensive mistake. Many Thanks. Tony

Tony hi,

The part numbers i'm to sure about, need to go home to look at the boxes, but will let you know. The model i used has 1 pwm output node 24 v DC so you need to buy a converter from Crouzet. I do have them in stock although i have to order them from France.

if you give us a ring 07717723352 i will chat directly. Txt first as i don't answer unknown numbers.

Ray you have my email address, lets coresspond via external means.

As long as the PV system has been fitted a certain way and you can put the equipment in a "box"
(to suit your location) . Not installations have the room to mount everything. The rest is easy.

Andy

Hi Andy
We've just had a PV system installed by Rayotec (commissioned on 9th June) with generation meter etc. in the porch and tails going direct to outside meter box. Like Ray I'm not an electrician but reasonably competent and very interested in assembling and installing the controls you have described in these posts. We have an indirect hot water cylinder fitted with with 3 kW immersion heaters top and bottom formerly controlled by Horstman Economy 7 timer. Would you be able to supply the bits and instructions? Thanks, Brian

Like a drill speed controller or light dimmer a phase angle controlled immersion is going to radiate some electrical interference, only worse because of the larger current and long cable between the immersion and fuse box. What sort of suppression is going to be needed to stop interference with say radios and TVs?

Well a drill has an arc across the com that is suppressed by a capacitor, but I am not sure that there will be any problem with this. I have been testing my circuit on 3 kw immersion heater with the triac control and have had no problem at all.

Like a drill speed controller or light dimmer a phase angle controlled immersion is going to radiate some electrical interference, only worse because of the larger current and long cable between the immersion and fuse box. What sort of suppression is going to be needed to stop interference with say radios and TVs?
This is an interesting article which discusses this aspect http://bit.ly/m1sLDY
I think that it's not so bad with resistive loads.

Hi Millerman. Forgive me but burst firing will pull full power for a determined number of cycles. (see Burst firing ) This will then give a draw from the grid and then the cycles shut off for another set period. This is only useful for the power control of a heater temperature not what you need for balancing a load. I have just completed my circuit that measures the two power levels ( current coils, no need to phase reference if you go on output from dist board, several cores can fit through one coil no problem, remember to only use one from each ring circuit ) compares them and provides an output via the triac. It keeps the house just exporting a small amount of power whilst dumping what else is free into any resistive heating load. I used a 741 to compare the two signals, pass this onto another 741 which adds a reference voltage ( zero point ) and adjusted the gain via pot on feedback gain to alter the slope, thus totally analogue and very cheap. No problem with EMC at all. It can only do this by working at a cycle level. Burst mode will cost you power consumption sorry.

Reply to Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock