Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Immersion heater tripping mcb when timer switches off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Paddy-08

Paddy-08 New EF Member

Hi. I’m new to this but was woundering if anyone has had this problem. My immersion heater keep tripping the mcb when the timer switches it off. The mcb won’t reset unless the timer is set to on which works fine but as soon as the timer is up it trips the mcb again. The timer I have is a Horstmann Economy 7 quartz. Thanks for ur help

2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Paddy and Welcome to the Forum.
    Sorry to hear you've got an electrical problem, but hopefully someone will be able to help :)
    Can you have a close look at the switch that trips and report back what it is? e.g. it may have B16 written on it? Or is it the RCD (one with a test button) that trips?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Paddy-08

Paddy-08 New EF Member

Hi how are you? And I hope so it’s doing my head in it’s the main RCD with the test button on. It’s worked fine and then just tripped in the night

4. Allan Hogg

Allan Hogg EF Member

My first thought on reading the problem is that there is a slight delay in the opening of both poles of the double pole switch timer. This could trip an RCD.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lagentium

Lagentium Regular EF Member

Paddy are you an electrician? If so I'd connect it straight through and take the timer out of the equation and turn it on and off via the local spur and see if it trips. If you aren't qualified then get someone who is to have a look and they may do the same mate.

6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

element problem probably how old is the hot water cylinder.

7. Paddy-08

Paddy-08 New EF Member

Yes that would make sense and I think it’s must be the timer. But if the timer is set to off I can’t reset the RCD

8. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

get a plumber in and ask him to test it for you .the reason the element if it needs changing by a plumber .not a sparky because of the head .

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  9. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Buzz I don't think your average plumber would have a clue about electrically testing an immersion element.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. buzzlightyear

possible one with electrical knowledge.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Yes possibly - and test equipment. I'd say electrician to test, plumber to change element if necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

If it is not possible to reset the RCD at all with the timer in the off position, then this sounds like a fault with the timer (or a relay it controls). Perhaps the NC contact is connected earth or similar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1