Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Immersion timers keep failing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Subby

Subby EF Member

Hi all .
    Have been to change an immersion timer for a Santon premier to210e invented cylinder.
    This cylinder has a 3kw immersion element (240v)
    I have fitted two different timers to replace the original but they have both failed after a few days of operating.
    After a few days u no longer get 240v at the switched live terminal in the timer when the timer is calling for heat. This happened to both the timers I fitted (both 16A load rating) one mechanical from the electric merchants, one lap digital one from screwfix.
    Why are the timers failing? The element works fine when I link out the timer. Thanks in advance.

2. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Probably because they are crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Subby

Subby EF Member

Thanks for reading my question . What would cause these crap timers to fail in this way? The electrical merchant assured me the one he sold me was the best quality one he had (T104-c)

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Loose connections?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. marc8

marc8 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    MTS Electrical Ltd
    have you checked the supply from fused spur / double pole switch make sure no loose connections ect? same with immersion have you IR tested the element & made sure connections not burnt out & secure?

6. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

What was wrong with the original, same problem?

7. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Some of the timers out there which are supposed to be rated at 3kW or higher aren't great. For years I've only used the Timeguard [Formerly Smiths?] version on Immersion Heaters, a bit old school but simple for the user and reliable in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

I cant see loose connections causing the internals on the timers to fail, you'd see evidence of that with charred connections.
    It's part of life now going back and changing rubbish gear, possibly several times. I had a run of timeguard timers which failed resulting in 3 return visits for FA. Also had a number of 105va LV trannies fail on one particular downlight. 4 return visits and the last one has now been in for 3 years and still going.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Subby

Subby EF Member

There were no loose connections and I believe there was the same problem with the original

10. Subby

Subby EF Member

The immersion heater works fine with the supply straight from the fused spur

11. marc8

marc8 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    MTS Electrical Ltd
    not the internals of the timer, the supply to the timer if loose could be causing more current draw through the unit. just a thought

12. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Test the element including a load test.

13. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Have you clamped the heater to see what current is being drawn?

14. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

• Like Like x 3
  15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

^^ wot he said.

• Like Like x 2