• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Imperial Conduit problem. Imperial Dies? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GarryJ

-
Reaction score
Evening.

I was wondering if anyone knew or has sourced Imperial metal conduit Dies?

I have a job coming up in an old mansion house where there is existing imperial conduit drops down to a consumer unit location above a ceiling which is accessible through a large hatch right at the DB. The customer however wants to raise the ceiling and I am going to need to fit new board etc which is not a problem. However there are 5 existing imperial conduits come down through the ceiling above which I am going to need to very carefully cut them at a higher location and try to run a new thread on them further up where I can bring them into a large galv joint box and get appropriate lockrings etc etc for them to remain a good earthing system with the single core pvc cables within them.
Unfortunately I would have liked to lift the floor above and take the pipes back to the next box and re jig and rewire it all from there but this is not possible due to massive newly tiled floor bathroom above.

I am aware of the imperial to metric adaptors however I need to cut the pipes further up and then re thread. Anyone any other ideas? I could obviously put earth clamps round each of the 5 pipes at a nice clean location but this would look a bit scabby I think

Cheers in advance for any thoughts

Will it not be difficult to thread them in situ? Could you not use the grub screw style conduit, that way you only need to cut the conduit fit an adaptor by tightening the gurb screw and bush into the galv box, 3/4" is 19mm so should work ok?

Demon Cato CL20GA Conlok Quick Fit Galvanised Steel Straight Solid Adaptor With Serrated Socket Grub Screw 20mm, CL20GA - http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/397197590/demon-cato-cl20ga-conlok-quick-fit-galvanised-steel-straight--solid-adaptor-with-serrated-socket-grub-screw-20mm/3725d23de9598ac9207e59a75f7ff204

If the existing install is all in conduit, and of this age. I suggest not using the grub screw adaptors as the conduit may well be used to form the CPC of some circuits.

We always pull in earth wires when re wiring old conduit systems.

Those grub screw type fittings comply with BS EN 61386-21:2004 the same BS no. as the traditional screwed system so I can't see why you can't rely on them for an Earth?

Reply to Imperial Conduit problem. Imperial Dies? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock