Discuss Imperial Conduit Problem? Imperial Dies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GarryJ

-
Reaction score
Evening.

I was wondering if anyone knew or has sourced Imperial metal conduit Dies?

I have a job coming up in an old mansion house where there is existing imperial conduit drops down to a consumer unit location above a ceiling which is accessible through a large hatch right at the DB. The customer however wants to raise the ceiling and I am going to need to fit new board etc which is not a problem. However there are 5 existing imperial conduits come down through the ceiling above which I am going to need to very carefully cut them at a higher location and try to run a new thread on them further up where I can bring them into a large galv joint box and get appropriate lockrings etc etc for them to remain a good earthing system with the single core pvc cables within them.
Unfortunately I would have liked to lift the floor above and take the pipes back to the next box and re jig and rewire it all from there but this is not possible due to massive newly tiled floor bathroom above.

I am aware of the imperial to metric adaptors however I need to cut the pipes further up and then re thread. Anyone any other ideas? I could obviously put earth clamps round each of the 5 pipes at a nice clean location but this would look a bit scabby I think

Cheers in advance for any thoughts

You have 5 metal conduits coming through the ceiling and you want cut them and re thread then in situ, well I wish you all the luck in the world Garry, without a picture it's difficult to advise but personally I think your idea is a non starter. What circuits are in these conduits?

could you not cut the tube high up as you say, and then put on the imperial to metric adaptors(which hammer on if I remember correctly?) and then just bush into your board?
if it's high up next to the ceiling no-one should see it anyway?
but like has already been said it's going to be tricky cutting the tube, and not sure how you could thread it even if you do get imp dies

I've never seen an adaptor which hammers on, only the threaded type.

you could make up your own adaptors which fit via a set screw if you've got access to a lathe, or else get a local engineering company to make some.

Ye I know its not an easy one. I will take a photo on my next visit and all will make sense. I had thought of putting a piece of wood in between the wall and the pipes to prize them out a bit to allow me to thread them. I was just thinking of a good decent way to earth the existing pipes which I think is mostly lighting circuits coming down through them. Ideally as said I would like to go back to the nearest box for each pipe and crimp onto cables then rewire down into board but not going to have that privilege.
The hammer on adaptors sound maybe the best option so far. Are they reliable for the cpc though bearing in mind its single core in the pipes? Never used them before I don't think

I'd be tempted to save a lot of grief here and just earth the conduits with pipe clamps and cable but done very neatly, or you could link all of the conduits with steel or copper strip clamped around and one earth conductor.

I'd be tempted to save a lot of grief here and just earth the conduits with pipe clamps and cable but done very neatly, or you could link all of the conduits with steel or copper strip clamped around and one earth conductor.

I don't think regular pipe clamps are rated for fault current.
You can get pipe clamps for use in lightning protection systems which presumably are rated for higher currents.

That's odd Dave as that's what pipe clamps may have to deal with in unfortunate circumstances ? Then again some nice thick copper strip bolted through between each conduit to create a sort of sandwich would do the trick.

Thanks for the replies guys. Its a difficult one. Will take a photo and upload it to show the problem better.
The bathroom above the location looks to be around £400 per floor tile and about the size of my full house

That's odd Dave as that's what pipe clamps may have to deal with in unfortunate circumstances ? Then again some nice thick copper strip bolted through between each conduit to create a sort of sandwich would do the trick.

Bizarrely I did have a copy of the actual spec for a bs951 clamp somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Just looking at them I wouldn't trust them as part of a cpc, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the replies guys. Its a difficult one. Will take a photo and upload it to show the problem better.
The bathroom above the location looks to be around £400 per floor tile and about the size of my full house

You may have to forget your usual rates here and price to reflect the nature of the job, sounds like they can afford it. ;)

could you not cut the tube high up as you say, and then put on the imperial to metric adaptors(which hammer on if I remember correctly?) and then just bush into your board?
if it's high up next to the ceiling no-one should see it anyway?
but like has already been said it's going to be tricky cutting the tube, and not sure how you could thread it even if you do get imp dies
I have heard of this type of adaptor, but never seen one.

Reply to Imperial Conduit Problem? Imperial Dies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net