Discuss Implications of Bonding in flats when the others are not up to standard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sevuk

-
Reaction score
Flats, just thinking of the implications of bonding. This is in response to looking at a flat here for a refit. My background is wiring churches and have never really been involved in premises that involve multiple occupancy, but the principle is simple. Landlords area needs the services bonded and then each occupancy is treated as a separate installation, so they also need bonding. All get bonded in accordance with regulation 544.1.1 and table 54.8, simple..

But what if it's the only flat that is going to be up to date, and all the other flats are not up to date with their bonding? I can't be sure that even if the Main bonding is tested, that inside each of these flats there will be 0.05 ohms between extraneous conductive parts, and make any further assessment on the bonding.

It concerns me the implications if there is a fault in the new flat that there may be potential difference between the pipes in other flats due to inadequate bonding.

How do you get over this, and could this thread warrant more discussion than my last post?

If it had been a problem or had been anticipated as being a problem then most likely the Regs would have dealt with it and blocks of multiple residences OR businesses would have had to have been dealt with as a single installation.

Similar to loss of DNO neutral on PME / TNCS which apparently is going to be dealt with by the regs.

If it had been a problem or had been anticipated as being a problem then most likely the Regs would have dealt with it and blocks of multiple residences OR businesses would have had to have been dealt with as a single installation.

Similar to loss of DNO neutral on PME / TNCS which apparently is going to be dealt with by the regs.

I see your point, the only thing that would need to be checked then is that the landlord has done their bonding and then the bonding in the flat is the responsibility of the owner.

Technically, as long as no one has replaced any of their pipe with plastic in places then the whole place would be protected with the landlords bonding (dependent on size of the installation), but it's all about liability isn't it?

On another note I have heard that some people have gone to the lengths to make sure each flat is supplied in plastic, is this madness?

I think figure 5.15 in guidance note 8 backs up what is said in reference to regulation 544.1.1

The supply earth to building B3 and the subsequent bonding is at least 35mm corresponding to the 120mm neutral supplied from the DNO as the minimum bonding requirement.

Which as reasonably as practical protects the installation.

Reply to Implications of Bonding in flats when the others are not up to standard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net