Discuss In line fuse holder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got some coastal apartments which have a mixture of downlights, pendants and 5A round pin wall plugs all controlled by conventional light switches and everything is switch fed. OCPD is a B10 mcb which if I derated it to a B6, would still be over the 5A rating of the sockets and plugs. All the 5A rated plugs used are unfused.
I am looking for small inline fuseholders for 3A 1362 fuses (or anything else suitable) which I can fit in the switch backboxes. Otherwise I will have to come out of the cu from the 10A mcb to an sfcu fused at 5A which, whilst easier, doesn't feel right. Or am I missing something?

As long as no part of the wiring or any accessory can be overloaded, I wouldn't worry about it. The 5A plug will only be serving one lamp, presumably?

They are generally considered as being part of a lighting circuit, you could use 16A if you like, as the others say how likely is it they will be overloaded because the current is limited by the nature of the load. I put 2As in my lounge on 10A devices.

Whilst I completely agree, it is for an EICR and so justifies a code under 433.1.1. I can see the common sense argument for a C3 but as Murdoch is implying, who knows. How would others report this please?

Whilst I completely agree, it is for an EICR and so justifies a code under 433.1.1. I can see the common sense argument for a C3 but as Murdoch is implying, who knows. How would others report this please?
I wouldn't comment on it at all, B15 and B22 lamp holders are rated at 2A but Reg 559.5.1.204 allows them to be protected at 16A because they are not likely to be overloaded, the same applies. Reg 559.5.1 deems them to be suitable luminaire couplers (BS546) and you rarely see them used for other purposes.
I don't see how it relates to 433.1.1

Historically, prior to their use as luminaire couplers, BS546 5A outlets for fixed loads <5A were permitted to be fused at 15A and 2A outlets fused at 5A. I cannot give even a hint as to which edition of regs you might need to search for that though.

I thought, not that I am old enough to know. 15A socket, 15A fuse and 5A socket, 5A fuse but you could have three 5A sockets on a 15A fuse.
Maybe 8th, 9th Ed.

Which is partly my concern. The manufacturers are supplying a light complete with a 3A fuse to protect their device and cable, we then discard this and connect into a 10A supply.
Thanks for the replies
Dumb question, sorry, but are you saying the light had a manufacturers 3A fuse which has now been removed ?

Reply to In line fuse holder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock