• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss In line switch for workbench ring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I've been asked by a customer to install an intermediate ( between 32a RCBO and first socket) switch so he can easily shut off all his workbench circuits at night. I've been looking for a 4 pole NC switch with a cover but I guess in the wrong place so far.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum mate.
How about a contactor activated my a key switch?

I personally would not connect a ring final across a four pole switch/contactor due to the possibility of failure to one of the poles. I would change it so a 32A radial is taken to the switch then connect the ring final.

I was thinking of a 'forced guided' contactor.
Also a key switch so that only the person with the key can turn off the circuit.

I don't see how a force guided contactor would help, a four pole one normally has two n/c and two n/o poles.

I don't see how a force guided contactor would help, a four pole one normally has two n/c and two n/o poles.

If one of the contacts get stuck then they all will. As in your suggestion, you can still get a contact stuck and the other working, without one. It's a safer option.

But a four pole has opposing contacts, two n/o and two n/c doesn't it or am I getting this totally wrong.

But a four pole has opposing contacts, two n/o and two n/c doesn't it or am I getting this totally wrong.

The OP will have to look for a forced guided contactor that has 4 normally open contacts. Doesn't necessarily have to be '4 pole' could be '6 pole', as long as it has 4 normally open contacts.
Or he could go along your suggestion, then he only needs one that has 2 normally open contacts.
I just mentioned a 'forced guided' contactor mate.

I would go with snowhead's suggestion, but you can also get four pole isolator switches, as main db type switches, that, since you mention a cover, you could put one in a 4 module enclosure.

What is the users intention?

Does he want to be able to clunk everything off under load as he leaves?

or..

Does he want to power everything down in a controlled and orderly manner before isolating the power to the circuit as a precaution?

Really need input from the OP as to what the customer requires on this. We have given him 3 options.

Hello, Spoon/Snowhead and all,thanks for all the input and welcome. I'd a bit more reading and a call to make..Yes, 'clunk off' is the deal. the guy is shutting up a big building each night, the benches have mebbe battery chargers, heaters and solders left on.
I looked at the rotary isolator which is the right kind of positive use design but not under load. Was thinking NC but that's relevant for emegency switch I think. This is a daily use device.
Thanks

Whatever switch you use is going to fail if it's switching inductive loads daily.

Maybe one of these might be suitable;

In line switch for workbench ring {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If things like soldering irons are left on and only turned off by this master switch then they will be turned back on again by it. So you still end up with things being left on and unattended

Sounds like more common sense or training of the people using the equipment is needed, rather than a switch..

Reply to In line switch for workbench ring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back